Band Theory of Solids: Basic Concepts Explained

In summary, the Band Theory of solids explains that when energy is given to a solid, the electrons bound to the respective atoms move from the valence band to the conduction band, increasing the material's conductivity. This excitation of electrons and the excitation of the lattice happen simultaneously, with the latter being dominant at low temperatures. In metals, the fermi level is within the conduction band, so there is no need to excite electrons for conduction to occur. However, electron excitation still occurs in metals and is a significant factor in the heat capacity at low temperatures.
manofphysics
I am reading the Band Theory of solids.Now, my question is on the basic concepts:
{1}When energy is given to a solid, the electrons bound to the respective atoms move from the valence band to the conduction band and hence conductivity of material increases.

{2}But we know that when we give energy to a solid, each atom as a whole starts to vibrate and finally when the energy becomes more, atoms move far apart and solid changes to liquid.

Now when we give energy to a solid, does {1} and {2} happen simultaneously or whether {1} happens first and then {2} happens?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume when you say 'give energy' you mean specifically increasing the temperature.

Yes, both happen simultaneously. (1) is the excitation of electrons, and (2) is the excitation of the lattice. Typically, in an insulating material the gap is so large that (1) happens very little before you reach the melting point. For semiconductors (1) can happen at temperatures reasonably well below the melting point, and of course for metals there is no gap, so (1) begins to happen right above T = 0 K.

Yes of course ,I meant increasing the temperature. Thanks a lot for your answer , kanato.

kanato said:
I assume when you say 'give energy' you mean specifically increasing the temperature.

Yes, both happen simultaneously. (1) is the excitation of electrons, and (2) is the excitation of the lattice. Typically, in an insulating material the gap is so large that (1) happens very little before you reach the melting point. For semiconductors (1) can happen at temperatures reasonably well below the melting point, and of course for metals there is no gap, so (1) begins to happen right above T = 0 K.

Just a little correction: In metals, the fermi level is above the conduction band, and due to the exclusion principle, the conduction band is already filled with electrons at T = 0K so there's no need to excite them.

Essentially there's no (1) in metals.

Well, to clarify, in metals, the fermi level is somewhere inside the conduction band, so you get electrical conduction regardless of whether electrons are excited. But excitation of electrons in a metal still happens, and it actually dominants the heat capacity of a metal at low temperature, whereas for nonmetals the heat capacity is almost entirely due to the lattice vibrations and electronic effects are rather difficult to detect.

Yes,kanato, I also read that conduction band overlaps valence band( not always fully) so effectively electrons CAN excite even in metals, to the conduction band. And I assume when you say low temperature, you mean about room temperature at which conductivity is measured?

No, I mean near 0 K. At room temperature, the lattice vibrations dominate the specific heat capacity for pretty much any material.

1. What is the Band Theory of Solids?

The Band Theory of Solids is a concept in physics that explains the behavior of electrons in solid materials. It describes how the energy levels of electrons are organized in a solid material, and how these energy levels determine the properties of the material.

2. How does the Band Theory explain the conducting properties of metals?

The Band Theory explains that in metallic materials, the valence electrons (outermost electrons) are able to move freely throughout the material, creating a "sea" of electrons. This allows for easy flow of electricity and makes metals good conductors.

3. What is the difference between a conductive and an insulating material according to the Band Theory?

In conductive materials, the valence electrons have partially filled energy bands, meaning there are many available energy levels for the electrons to move through. In insulating materials, the valence electrons have completely filled energy bands, creating a large energy gap between the valence band and the conduction band. This makes it difficult for electrons to move and therefore, these materials do not conduct electricity well.

4. Can the Band Theory explain the properties of semiconductors?

Yes, the Band Theory can explain the unique properties of semiconductors. These materials have partially filled energy bands, similar to conductive materials, but also have a small energy gap between the valence and conduction bands. This allows for some electrons to move and conduct electricity, but also creates the possibility for the material to act as an insulator in certain conditions.

5. How does temperature affect the Band Theory of Solids?

Temperature can affect the Band Theory of Solids in a few ways. As temperature increases, the energy of the electrons also increases, causing them to move more freely and potentially increasing the conductivity of the material. However, at extremely low temperatures, the electrons may become more tightly bound to the atoms in the material, leading to a decrease in conductivity. Additionally, temperature can also affect the energy gap between the valence and conduction bands, which can impact the material's ability to conduct electricity.