Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Band theory of solids

1. Oct 31, 2015 #1
    Do electrons in conduction band are only responsible for current? Don't the electrons in partially filled valence band capable of moving contribute to current?
    Material discussed-metals(conductors)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2015 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Where is this partially-filled valence band in a metal?

Zz.

4. Oct 31, 2015 #3
    In metals either of the two cases exists-
    1. Conduction band is partially filled and the valence band is partially empty. OR
    2. Conduction and valence band overlap.

5. Nov 1, 2015 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Show me the band structure where the valence band is partially empty.

Zz.

6. Nov 1, 2015 #5

Attached Files:

7. Nov 1, 2015 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This references are utterly confusing (what text are you using that has a typo of valence being replaced by "balanced"). The 2nd one, especially, is trying to differentiate between a metal and a semiconductor! We know about unfilled valence band for semiconductor. What I'm asking is for you to show me an example on the band structure of a metal that has a partially empty valence band.

I bet you that what is being described here is the difference between an insulating and a conducting state of a semiconductor! This is not a metal! A semiconductor may be conducting, but it is STILL not a metal! The valence band of a metal doesn't play a role in its charge transport properties. A semiconductor does!

I suggest you look very, VERY carefully at what you are reading and the terminology that you are using.

And please read this thread on why I consider the explanation of "band overlap" is flawed:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-does-band-structure-lead-to-metals-insulators.839172/

Zz.

8. Nov 2, 2015 #7

DrDu

Science Advisor

In semi-metals like Bismuth and graphite, you encounter the situation that there is one band almost filled and one band almost empty. Personally, I generally would avoid speaking of conduction and valence bands as this termini are clearly missleading.

9. Nov 3, 2015 #8
    The electrons in valence band move with their corresponding group velocities but they don't conduct any charge because they move in different directions. I think it is possible to have conduction by the electrons in partially filled valence band provided that the symmetry of distribution in the band is broken.

10. Nov 3, 2015 #9

DrDu

Science Advisor

If this were true, p-doped semiconductors would be isolators, too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook