1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bandpass Filter Design

1. Dec 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have to design a bandpass filter (300Hz to 3000Hz). I have been given a variety of resistors and capacitors to work with.

Oh yes, another thing is that i need an output voltage that's <8V. I'm cascading it with another IC.

Capacitors - 10nF, 0.1µF, 0.33µF, 0.47µF, 1µF, 4.7µF, 100µF, 220µF

Resistors - 100, 330, 1K, 3.3K, 4.7K, 5.6K, 10K, 22K, 47K

I have tried using my textbooks as a reference and i used a given example. Then i tried working from there on...

2. Relevant equations

Some of the formulas given are.. (With reference with my diagram)

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried using those formulas, however the best i got was either very small resistance with high capacitance or vice versa.

Am i doing it the right way?
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2008 #2

Since you have 2 equations with 4 unknowns, you must assign arbitrary values to 2 of the unknowns.
    Electrolytic capacitors are not reliable and should be used mainly as bypass or coupling elements.
    I suggest that you choose small values for the capacitors and calculate the value of the resistors.
  4. Dec 24, 2008 #3
    Yep, thanks!

I used a fixed value of 0.47µF for the capacitance. Got [tex]\approx[/tex] 1K and 100 for the resistances :smile:

It's just a matter of trial and error i guess.
  5. Jan 4, 2009 #4
    .47mF and 100 ohm give 3388hz which is close, might want to use 0.1mF and some combination of resistors to get closer for you homework!!! Don't know your teacher. You give 90% of the answer might score you 90% of the points!!!:surprised
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?