Bandwidth of Space: Threshold Capacity and Limitations

In summary: However, because the universe is expanding and the photons are getting further and further apart, the information carrying capacity of lower frequency waves will eventually be exceeded.
.physics
Bandwidth of space!

Can anyone tell me what might be the bandwidth of a m3 of space or air.
As we can tell the b/w of Cu wire is in MBps , ethernet cables in GBps and that of optical fibre is around TBps ; is there any way to find out or any formula to calculate the threshold capacity of the space or wireless medium for holding various data in EM-waves of various frequencies.

We all know that in a single room we can tune into 100s of short waves, AMs, FMs using a radio. In the same room we may use mobiles of different operators . Similarly in a same place we may use satellite disk to capture numerous TV stations and many more communication devices. So it means that the same room physically contains em-waves in thousands of number- we can separate them or tune into them using different electronic devices.

I am thus wondering if space has some limit to hold EM-waves. EM waves has always amazed me a lot and I still do not understand how do they actually propagate.

I have heard for many times that the b/w of space is near to infinite and as we see, it is so.

But some us may still think that there must be some critical point or wave threshold of the space after which it breaks down.

I am looking forward to having your opinions.

Astronomy news on Phys.org

If you were to put an abolutely rediculous amount of electromagnetic radiation in one place, it will turn into a black hole. So that's one limit.

Another limit would probably involve quantum effects (HUP).

James Leighe said:
If you were to put an abolutely rediculous amount of electromagnetic radiation in one place, it will turn into a black hole. So that's one limit.

Another limit would probably involve quantum effects (HUP).

That was one interesting point you made. So, do you have any idea about what may be the reasonable B/W of 1 m3 of space or do you think there could be some formula to calculate it?

.physics said:
That was one interesting point you made. So, do you have any idea about what may be the reasonable B/W of 1 m3 of space or do you think there could be some formula to calculate it?

I'll give it a shot over the weekend, should be fun!

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=196160
Been there, check the papers in post #2
Bandwidth is not an entirely accurate term in this case
Fundamentally there are only 2 analogues:
Storage capacity -> Volume of space
Processing power -> Energy of system(what you are looking for - ability to move information at speed)

The antennae of the receivers/transmiters are the biggest hindrance of the b/w. Also, EM radiation cannot create black holes.

Matrix, way to kill my fun.

Dickfore said:
Also, EM radiation cannot create black holes.
Are you SURE about that?

James Leighe said:
Are you SURE about that?

No, but all I know is that EM fields do not contribute to the scalar curvature of spacetime because the trace of the stress-energy tensor is zero for them.

Dickfore said:
No, but all I know is that EM fields do not contribute to the scalar curvature of spacetime because the trace of the stress-energy tensor is zero for them.

Are you sure about THAT?

EDIT: Even if that was true think photon-photon particle production.

James Leighe said:
Are you sure about THAT?

EDIT: Even if that was true think photon-photon particle production.

To be perfectly honest, I don't know and I don't feel like hijacking his thread.

Even if there was some meaningful answer to the question 'how much data can air hold', determining the bandwidth would still require the air (or something) to be moving.

.physics said:
I am looking forward to having your opinions.

In the high frequency end, when photon energy and density are insanely high, it is believed that colliding photons may produce pairs. Since vacuum cannot be perfect, stray atoms can allow pair production by a single photon. So the limit to this end would depend on local vacuum conditions (the kind of atoms and their numbers).

In the low frequency end, I don't believe there are any theoretical limits.

What is the bandwidth of space?

The bandwidth of space refers to the amount of data that can be transmitted through space at a given time. It is measured in bits per second and is affected by various factors such as distance, signal strength, and interference.

Is there a limit to the bandwidth of space?

Yes, there is a limit to the bandwidth of space. This is due to physical limitations such as the speed of light and the availability of resources for transmitting and receiving data.

What is the threshold capacity of space bandwidth?

The threshold capacity of space bandwidth is the maximum amount of data that can be transmitted through space before experiencing significant degradation in signal quality. It is determined by the capabilities of the technology used for communication.

How does the bandwidth of space compare to other forms of communication?

The bandwidth of space is significantly higher than other forms of communication such as radio waves or fiber optics. This is because space is a vacuum and has less interference, allowing for higher data transmission rates.

Can the bandwidth of space be increased?

Yes, the bandwidth of space can be increased through advancements in technology and the development of more efficient communication methods. However, it will always be limited by physical constraints and the available resources for transmitting and receiving data.