Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bandwidth of the system

1. Dec 11, 2006 #1
    hey all.

i read that the definition of the bandwidth of a system is the frequency range up until the signal's power (at DC) drops by -3dB.

This obviously only applies to a first order system , right?

Surely for a second order - it is defined as the range of frequency up until the power drops by -6dB?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Your first statement applies to a low-pass function. If the transfer function is a bandpass, then the bandwidth is generally measured to the 3dB points on either side of the passband. It doesn't matter what order the system is, you usually use the -3dB points as the shoulders.

4. Dec 11, 2006 #3

berkeman

5. Dec 11, 2006 #4
    Thanks - but the reason why asked the above is because i am given the following system: H(s) = 1/ (s+4)^2, and asked to find the bandwidth of the system.
    It can't be w=4 (If we wish to conform to the definition of bandwidth), because at this point we have a -6dB power drop.
    On the other hand, if i was given the system as: H(s) = 1/(s+4), then the bandwidth would be equal to 4, i.e w=4

thanks again

6. Dec 11, 2006 #5

berkeman

Is your H(s) a power or voltage transfer function? Remember that -3dB is not the 1/2 signal point, it's a 1/2 power point. The signal at -3dB is [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt2}[/tex]

7. Dec 11, 2006 #6
    power = signal drops by half DC value (or DC power??).
    voltage or current = signal drops to 70 percent of DC value.
    They are still both regarded as -3dB points by applying the corresponding equation:
    for power : 10 log(P/2)
    for voltage or current :20 log(V/srt(2)).

thanks

It can be seen as a voltage ...but i don't think in this case it will make a difference...

8. Dec 12, 2006 #7
    any sugestions guys...?

9. Dec 13, 2006 #8
    I would solve for the value of [itex]s_0[/itex] such that [itex]H(s_0) = \frac {1}{\sqrt 2} H_{max}[/itex]. Since the max is clearly 1, just solve for the denominator of H(s) [tex](s+4)^2 = \sqrt {2}[/tex]

10. Dec 15, 2006 #9
    thanks - also thought about doing it that way and sticking to the definition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?