What is the Bandwidth of a Second Order System?

In summary: In this case, it would be w=4 and the bandwidth would be the same as if you solved for w=4 without the s_0 term.
LM741
hey all.

i read that the definition of the bandwidth of a system is the frequency range up until the signal's power (at DC) drops by -3dB.

This obviously only applies to a first order system , right?

Surely for a second order - it is defined as the range of frequency up until the power drops by -6dB?

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your first statement applies to a low-pass function. If the transfer function is a bandpass, then the bandwidth is generally measured to the 3dB points on either side of the passband. It doesn't matter what order the system is, you usually use the -3dB points as the shoulders.

Thanks - but the reason why asked the above is because i am given the following system: H(s) = 1/ (s+4)^2, and asked to find the bandwidth of the system.
It can't be w=4 (If we wish to conform to the definition of bandwidth), because at this point we have a -6dB power drop.
On the other hand, if i was given the system as: H(s) = 1/(s+4), then the bandwidth would be equal to 4, i.e w=4

thanks again

Is your H(s) a power or voltage transfer function? Remember that -3dB is not the 1/2 signal point, it's a 1/2 power point. The signal at -3dB is [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt2}[/tex]

power = signal drops by half DC value (or DC power??).
voltage or current = signal drops to 70 percent of DC value.
They are still both regarded as -3dB points by applying the corresponding equation:
for power : 10 log(P/2)
for voltage or current :20 log(V/srt(2)).

thanks

It can be seen as a voltage ...but i don't think in this case it will make a difference...

any sugestions guys...?

I would solve for the value of [itex]s_0[/itex] such that [itex]H(s_0) = \frac {1}{\sqrt 2} H_{max}[/itex]. Since the max is clearly 1, just solve for the denominator of H(s) [tex](s+4)^2 = \sqrt {2}[/tex]

thanks - also thought about doing it that way and sticking to the definition.

What is the bandwidth of a system?

The bandwidth of a system refers to the maximum amount of data that can be transmitted in a given amount of time. It is typically measured in bits per second (bps) and is an important factor in determining the speed and performance of a system.

How is bandwidth calculated?

Bandwidth is calculated by dividing the amount of data that can be transmitted (in bits) by the time it takes to transmit that data (in seconds). This calculation gives us the data transfer rate, which is the bandwidth of the system.

What factors affect the bandwidth of a system?

The bandwidth of a system can be affected by a number of factors, including the type of network connection, the quality of the connection, the amount of traffic on the network, and the hardware and software used to transmit and receive data.

Why is bandwidth important?

Bandwidth is important because it determines how quickly data can be transmitted and received. A higher bandwidth allows for faster data transfer, which is crucial for tasks such as streaming videos, downloading large files, and online gaming.

How can I improve the bandwidth of my system?

There are a few ways to improve the bandwidth of a system, such as upgrading to a faster internet connection, using a wired connection instead of wireless, optimizing network settings, and reducing the number of devices connected to the network at one time.