Bandwidth Problem: Increase Gain & Keep Constant

• Thread starter greg997
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bandwidth
In summary, the conversation discusses a simple circuit with a noninverting op amp and two resistors that set the gain. The product of bandwidth and gain is constant, meaning that increasing the gain decreases the bandwidth and vice versa. The problem is to add an extension to the circuit that would increase the bandwidth while keeping the gain at 100. One possible solution is to use multiple amplifiers with a lower gain, which results in a higher overall gain and better bandwidth. The speaker plans to test this solution in Multisim.
greg997
hi, I've got simple circuit with noninverting op amp. There are two resistors by which gain is set. And as far as I know the product of bandwidth and gain constant. That is, if we increase the gain the bandwidth decreses and if we decrease the gain , bandwidth increses. The problem is that I am supposed to add an extension to that circuit that would increase the bandwiidth but the gain would stay the same, let's say 100. How is that possible? Thanks to everyone wishing to help me with this.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, you can do that.

Two amplifiers with a gain of 10 will have a greater bandwidth than one with a gain of 100.

If you used 4 amplifiers with a gain of 3.2 you would get a gain of 3.2 * 3.2 * 3.2 * 3.2 which is about 105 and that setup will have a much better bandwidth than one amplifier with a gain of 100.

Thanks awfully , firend. I will try to test it in Multisim today.

What is the bandwidth problem?

The bandwidth problem refers to the limited capacity of a system to transfer data, which can result in slow or interrupted communication and data transfer.

Why is it important to increase gain while keeping the bandwidth constant?

Increasing gain while keeping the bandwidth constant allows for a higher signal-to-noise ratio, meaning there is less interference and the signal can be transmitted more clearly and accurately.

How can gain be increased without changing the bandwidth?

Gain can be increased by using amplifiers or other signal processing techniques to boost the strength of the signal without changing the frequency range or bandwidth.

What are the potential consequences of not addressing the bandwidth problem?

If the bandwidth problem is not addressed, it can lead to slow data transfer speeds, signal degradation, and communication errors, which can impact the performance and reliability of a system.

Are there any other solutions to the bandwidth problem besides increasing gain?

Yes, other solutions to the bandwidth problem include using data compression techniques, optimizing the use of available bandwidth, and implementing more efficient communication protocols.