Aerospace: Banjo Fitting and Its Uses

In summary, Banjo fittings are used to fit a banjo into an overhead compartment without breaking it. They are also used on automobiles.
araanandv2
Hi,

What is Banjo fitting?(In Aerospace)
Application of it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
"Banjo fitting" is trying to fit your banjo into the overhead compartment without breaking it!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Googling on 'Aerospace' and 'banjo fitting' gives a number of hits, for example:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/applications/AWD-CN/documents/US96-25-14.htm

A banjo fitting appears to be a type of pipe fitting that is particularly good in high or low pressure applications.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bascially it's a mounting system that looks a bit like a banjo (with a very short neck) - i.e. a circular frame that fits all the way round a object.

They are not only used for pipes. Some engine mounts are designed that way.

Aero engineers like giving things silly names - I know one engine mounting system usually called the "donkey's plonker". A different engine had a tank underneath is connected by a "gorilla bracket" (think King Kong with arms above head) - and the connection at the other end was called the "banana beam" (for the obvious reasons).

Donkey plonker? Is that another version of a dog bone?

Yeah, Aleph... I need details about this. I feel the need to bring it up in normal conversation, so I should know something about it. :biggrin:

You can probably work out which two senses were intended...

http://www.allwords.com/word-plonker.html

I guess it's a UK language thing.

Talking of which, a long while back we were teaching some USAF engineers about the Harrier VSTOL aircraft, in particular the vector thrust nozzles which are officially called "bifurcated pipes". As always with "English as a foreign language" terminology, the trainees were asked if they knew what it the word bifurcated meant.

Blank looks, till some guy on the back row said "Yeah. It's a pipe that's been furcated twice".

Oh, I knew what you meant by 'plonker'; it was the design of the engine mounting that I was curious about.

Something like the sketch. Best not ask why somebody (not me, honest!) thought this was a good idea.

Attachments

• Engine mount.jpg
    Engine mount.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 488
Well, that just looks... weird. I still don't quite see wherefrom the name derives, though (unless it was applied to the designer rather than the design itself).

araanandv2 said:
Hi,

What is Banjo fitting?(In Aerospace)
Application of it?

I can't recall seeing a banjo fitting on an commercial aircraft but I have seen them on automobiles. It is a doughnut shaped fitting that has fluid delivered to it via a tube. The doughnout is held to whatever receives the fluid by a bolt with a sealing washer; the doughnut hole is slightly larger than the bolt. The fluid comes down the tube, through to the center of the doughnut, through the center of the bolt and makes a 90 degree turn into whatever device receives the fluid. Where is it applied? I don't know. Maybe to a small aircraft's brake caliper?

Go to Google images and search for banjo fittings

Last edited:
Joe Mechanic said:
I can't recall seeing a banjo fitting on an commercial aircraft but I have seen them on automobiles. It is a doughnut shaped fitting that has fluid delivered to it via a tube. The doughnout is held to whatever receives the fluid by a bolt with a sealing washer; the doughnut hole is slightly larger than the bolt. The fluid comes down the tube, through to the center of the doughnut, through the center of the bolt and makes a 90 degree turn into whatever device receives the fluid. Where is it applied? I don't know. Maybe to a small aircraft's brake caliper?

Go to Google images and search for banjo fittings
Thank you Very Much

It's a "universal" elbow. Its design enables one to hard plumb lines where there is insufficient clearance for a bend or a conventional elbow, and enables the threaded section to be tightened to spec regardess of what direction is chosen for the tube. It offers some advantages that otherwise couldn't be met by other means. Their lower profile and greater mass might also be useful where the fitting would be exposed to damages.

Last edited:

What is a banjo fitting?

A banjo fitting is a type of fluid connection commonly used in aerospace applications. It consists of a hollow bolt with a hollow and spherical end, allowing fluid to pass through it.

What are the primary uses of banjo fittings in aerospace?

Banjo fittings are used in aerospace for a variety of purposes, including connecting fluid lines, fuel systems, and hydraulic systems. They are also commonly used in engine components and landing gear assemblies.

What are the advantages of using banjo fittings in aerospace?

Banjo fittings offer several advantages in aerospace applications. They are lightweight, compact, and provide a secure connection between fluid lines. They also allow for flexibility in installation and can be rotated to accommodate different positions.

What materials are banjo fittings typically made of?

Banjo fittings are typically made of high-strength materials such as stainless steel, titanium, or aluminum. This ensures their durability and ability to withstand high pressures and temperatures in aerospace environments.

How are banjo fittings installed and maintained in aerospace applications?

Banjo fittings are typically installed using a sealing washer and a lock nut. They should be regularly inspected and replaced if any signs of wear or damage are present. Proper torque and installation techniques are also important for maintaining the integrity of banjo fittings.