Bank Curve Friction: How Does it Act?

In summary, Bank Curve Friction provides additional centripetal force and a properly engineered banked curve does not rely on friction. In an unbanked curve, without friction, a car would not be able to turn. The friction pushes the car toward the center, allowing it to make the curve. In a non-friction scenario, mg=Fn*cosx, but with friction, there is a downward component. However, there are resources available to help with understanding banked curves with friction.
glueball8
How does Bank Curve Friction act on the object?

Physics news on Phys.org
The friction provides additional centripetal force, but a properly engineered banked curve does not rely on friction at all, only the normal force.

K I know that but I don't see how that can work... why would fricition act in the direction of the centripetal force? the object wants to go to the center, if friction is considered shouldn't it be in the opposite direction?

Consider an unbanked curve. Without friction, you wouldn't be able to turn your car to make the curve. The car "wants" to keep going straight. It's friction that pushes the car toward the center.

My teacher says that Ff is acting inward. Like you said.

But I did a FBD.

For non-friciton mg=Fn*cosx. But the if there is Ff there is a downwards components. So that's not really possible is it?

Can you send me a link?? I checked 4 book and non of them has bankcurved with friction problem. I'm probability wrong but science is the doubt of experts right? :smile:

NVM! I think I found a link

1. What is bank curve friction?

Bank curve friction is the resistance force experienced by a vehicle as it travels around a curved track. It is caused by the interaction between the tires of the vehicle and the surface of the track.

2. How does bank curve friction affect vehicle performance?

Bank curve friction can significantly impact a vehicle's performance. It can decrease the vehicle's speed, increase its stopping distance, and affect its handling and stability. It is an important factor to consider when designing and driving on curved roads or race tracks.

3. What factors influence bank curve friction?

The main factors that influence bank curve friction include the speed of the vehicle, the angle of the banked curve, the type and condition of the track surface, and the type and condition of the tires on the vehicle.

4. How is bank curve friction calculated?

Bank curve friction can be calculated using the coefficient of friction, which is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces. It is typically represented by the symbol "µ" and can be determined through experiments or obtained from published data for specific track and tire combinations.

5. How can bank curve friction be reduced?

Bank curve friction can be reduced by changing the angle of the banked curve, using tires with better grip and traction, and improving the quality and smoothness of the track surface. Proper vehicle maintenance and driving techniques, such as maintaining a steady speed and avoiding sudden changes in direction, can also help reduce bank curve friction.