Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bank Curve Friction

1. Nov 5, 2008 #1
    How does Bank Curve Friction act on the object?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2008 #2
    The friction provides additional centripetal force, but a properly engineered banked curve does not rely on friction at all, only the normal force.
  4. Nov 6, 2008 #3
    K I know that but I don't see how that can work... why would fricition act in the direction of the centripetal force? the object wants to go to the center, if friction is considered shouldn't it be in the opposite direction?
  5. Nov 6, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Consider an unbanked curve. Without friction, you wouldn't be able to turn your car to make the curve. The car "wants" to keep going straight. It's friction that pushes the car toward the center.
  6. Nov 6, 2008 #5
    My teacher says that Ff is acting inward. Like you said.

But I did a FBD.

For non-friciton mg=Fn*cosx. But the if there is Ff there is a downwards components. So that's not really possible is it?

Can you send me a link?? I checked 4 book and non of them has bankcurved with friction problem. I'm probability wrong but science is the doubt of experts right? :smile:
  7. Nov 6, 2008 #6
    NVM!!! I think I found a link
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?