1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bank curve problem

1. Jan 3, 2015 #1
    Is normal force on moving car on a track a component of weight or vice versa.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2015 #2
    Because the centripetal force is aiming in the direction of x axis ,, The Normal Force would be resolved into to components one is equal to the weight of the moving object

4. Jan 3, 2015 #3
    It means that weight is component of normal force. Is centripetal force directed towards center of circle or towards the axis because these are two different cases.

5. Jan 3, 2015 #4
    If you draw a free body diagram of this problem what would you have ,,

the Mg lies on the negative y axis pointing toward the center of earth , the centripetal force is pointing toward either positive x axis or negative x axis [horizontal plane] , And the normal force would have an angel with the x-axis [which will be resolved into components]

6. Jan 3, 2015 #5
    I wanna ask that is centripetal force acting towards the center of circular track or towards its central axis(x direction)

7. Jan 3, 2015 #6
    To the center of the circle NOT to the center of the x-direction ,, I didn't mean that ,,

:D

8. Jan 3, 2015 #7
    If it is then the normal force is perpendicular to the track ( ie perpendicular to centripetal force) then it would have no component providing the requisite force. Here is the figure in photo.

Attached Files:

9. Jan 3, 2015 #8
    Actually what you have drawn is somehow mistaken , The centripetal force direction is a horizontal line from the moving object to the center of the circular track ,,
    See this picture ,,
    20150104_000706.jpg

10. Jan 3, 2015 #9
    That was I wanted to confirm
    You had first said that it is towards center but if it is so then the normal force would be at right angle to centripetal force as I drew but the figure you drew confirms that it is towards the axis. I took direction of normal force as y- axis.

11. Jan 3, 2015 #10
    Okay ,, The picture implies my point And sorry for my English
    (:

12. Jan 3, 2015 #11
    Thank you for helping me. We done it together.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook