Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bank curve problem

1. Jan 3, 2015 #1
    Is normal force on moving car on a track a component of weight or vice versa.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2015 #2
    Because the centripetal force is aiming in the direction of x axis ,, The Normal Force would be resolved into to components one is equal to the weight of the moving object

4. Jan 3, 2015 #3
    It means that weight is component of normal force. Is centripetal force directed towards center of circle or towards the axis because these are two different cases.

5. Jan 3, 2015 #4
    If you draw a free body diagram of this problem what would you have ,,

the Mg lies on the negative y axis pointing toward the center of earth , the centripetal force is pointing toward either positive x axis or negative x axis [horizontal plane] , And the normal force would have an angel with the x-axis [which will be resolved into components]

6. Jan 3, 2015 #5
    I wanna ask that is centripetal force acting towards the center of circular track or towards its central axis(x direction)

7. Jan 3, 2015 #6
    To the center of the circle NOT to the center of the x-direction ,, I didn't mean that ,,

:D

8. Jan 3, 2015 #7
    If it is then the normal force is perpendicular to the track ( ie perpendicular to centripetal force) then it would have no component providing the requisite force. Here is the figure in photo.

Attached Files:

9. Jan 3, 2015 #8
    Actually what you have drawn is somehow mistaken , The centripetal force direction is a horizontal line from the moving object to the center of the circular track ,,
    See this picture ,,
    20150104_000706.jpg

10. Jan 3, 2015 #9
    That was I wanted to confirm
    You had first said that it is towards center but if it is so then the normal force would be at right angle to centripetal force as I drew but the figure you drew confirms that it is towards the axis. I took direction of normal force as y- axis.

11. Jan 3, 2015 #10
    Okay ,, The picture implies my point And sorry for my English
    (:

12. Jan 3, 2015 #11
    Thank you for helping me. We done it together.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook