1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Banked car without friction

1. Dec 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A curve of radius r is banked at angle θ so that a car traveling with uniform speed v can
    round the curve without relying on friction to keep it from slipping to its left or right.
    The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2. If r = 50 m and v = 64 km/hr, what is θ?
    Answer in units of ◦.

For this one, I drew a FBD. In my picture, Fny and Fg canceled each out, so the unbalanced force was Fnx. I used N2nd Fnet=ma and used components:
    Fnx=max
    Fnsintheta=max
    Fny= mg
    Fncostheta=mg
    then i divided them:
    Fsintheta max
    --------- = --------
    Fcostheta mg
    The masses canceled out on the right and on the left I had tantheta.
    on the right, ax/g= v^2/rg
    When I plugged in numbers, I got theta= approx 90 degrees. However, when I submit this answer, it is wrong..could someone help me find out where I messed up?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2008 #2

jgens

Gold Member

It's hard to follow your work but it looks like your resultant equation is correct: tan(x) = v^2/rg. Make sure to convert the km/hr to m/s before doing the calculation.

4. Dec 18, 2008 #3

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

The force down the bank will be m*g*sinθ and the force from centrifugal acceleration is your m*v²*cosθ/r

That means that you have v²/(r*g) = tanθ

So to find θ that would be the tan-1( v²/(r*g)) = θ

5. Dec 18, 2008 #4
    oh that would be the problem, not converting the units >< thanks to both of you for your help! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?