1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Banked Curve Question

1. Oct 13, 2007 #1
    Hey, I'm really having problems with this question and I don't really know what to do. I'm hoping someone can help me. Thanks in advance.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A highway curves to the left with radius of curvature R = 35 m. The highway's surface is banked at 19 degrees so that the cars can take this curve at higher speeds.
    Consider a car of mass 907 kg whose tires have static fiction coefficient of .72 against the pavement.
    The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2.

How fast can the car take this curve without skidding to the outside of the curve? Answer in units of m/s.

2. Relevant equations
    (mv^2)/r = Fn Sin(angle)
    mg = Fn Cos (angle)
    (v^2)/rg = Tan (angle)
    Ac = g tan (angle)
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

Please show some effort and work.

Consider friction also. Ffriction = [itex]\mu[/itex]Fn

To keep the car on the road, the weight component pointing down the curve and the friction must be equal to the inertial force of the car mv2/r.

On a bank/ramp, the weight can be resolved into normal and parallel forces with respect to the plane of the road.

4. Oct 14, 2007 #3
    Alright, thanks. I already knew that stuff.

The question was killed anyway, so I don't have to do it. Thanks for your help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?