Finding Safe Speeds for a Curved Road

• Thread starter zaddyzad
  • Start date
In summary: So in this case, the equation should be mg*tan(theta) = mv^2/R. From there, you can solve for the range of acceptable velocities using the coefficient of static friction and the banking angle. Hope that helps! In summary, we are solving for the range of speeds at which a car can safely make a curve with a radius of 78 m and a coefficient of static friction of 0.30 on wet pavement. The curve is designed for a specific speed, and we use the equation mg*tan(theta) = mv^2/R to calculate the range of acceptable velocities. This equation takes into account the forces of gravity, normal force, and static friction, and can be solved for the range of
zaddyzad

Homework Statement

A curve of radius 78 m is banked for a design speed
of If the coefficient of static friction is 0.30 (wet
pavement), at what range of speeds can a car safely make
the curve?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated theta being 36.1... (85/3.6)^2/78=gTan(theta)

Now, I'm wondering how to calculate the range of acceptable velocitys.. could someone explain it to me.

I think for max velocity the centripetal force = Sliding force + Frictional force = 104kph correct?

Can explain how I need to think for minimum velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
zaddyzad said:

Homework Statement

A curve of radius 78 m is banked for a design speed
of If the coefficient of static friction is 0.30 (wet
pavement), at what range of speeds can a car safely make
the curve?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated theta being 36.1... (85/3.6)^2/78=gTan(theta)

Now, I'm wondering how to calculate the range of acceptable velocitys.. could someone explain it to me.

I think for max velocity the centripetal force = Sliding force + Frictional force = 104kph correct?

Can explain how I need to think for minimum velocity?

Your equation is not correct. I suppose this could be due to your understanding of circular motion.

You mentioned sliding force. What is the sliding force? Why is it there?

Sorry not sliding force, but instead the force that points to the centre of the circle.

Good. Let's see if we can workout the correct equation. But first you need to have a good idea of all the forces involved.

In your scenerio, is there such a force that points to the centre of the circle?

What is the direction of the frictional force then?

opposing the force pointing to the centre

Yes, the direction of the frictional force is opposite the other force, but the latter does not points to the centre of the circle. In fact it is a fictitious force, which arises due to the non-inertial frame of the object in circular motion. (Have you wonder why all motorcyclists bend inwards when they turn?)

Check out centrifugal and centripedal force in wiki or other sources.

However, you can still solve the problem without that part of the knowledge.

In your case, there is only one physical force involved, and that is frictional force. So what do you think supply the centrifugal force needed to maintain circular motion?

It is a banked curve, so not only the force of friction keeps the car on track.
Force involved are gravity, normal force and static friction.

When the speed is greater than the allowed one, the car slides outward and up. When it is less, it slides down and inward.

The car moves along a horizontal circle of radius R so the resultant of all forces is equal to the centripetal force, mv2/R, a horizontal force pointing inward, towards the centre of the circle.
Draw free body diagram and figure out the relation between forces and the banking angle.

ehild

Thanks ehild for pointing out the keyword "banked" here.

Yes, since it is a banked curve, the force involved are those 3 mentioned.

In my previous post, I mistakenly mentioned "centrifugal force needed to maintain circular motion", it should be centripetal force.

1. How do you determine the appropriate safe speed for a curved road?

The safe speed for a curved road is determined by several factors, including the curvature of the road, the condition of the road surface, and the type of vehicle being driven. Additionally, the road's posted speed limit and any warning signs or signals should be taken into consideration. Engineers and scientists use mathematical models and simulations to calculate the ideal speed for a given curved road.

2. What are the potential dangers of driving at an unsafe speed on a curved road?

Driving at an unsafe speed on a curved road can lead to loss of vehicle control, skidding, and rollover accidents. It can also increase the risk of collisions with other vehicles or objects on the road. In addition, driving at an unsafe speed can cause excessive wear and tear on tires and other vehicle components, reducing the overall safety and longevity of the vehicle.

3. Is there a universal safe speed for all curved roads?

No, there is not a universal safe speed for all curved roads. Each road is unique and may require a different safe speed based on its specific characteristics. In addition, weather conditions and other external factors can also impact the safe speed for a curved road. It is important for drivers to always follow posted speed limits and adjust their speed accordingly for the specific road they are driving on.

4. Can technology be used to improve safe speeds for curved roads?

Yes, technology can play a significant role in determining safe speeds for curved roads. Advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS), such as electronic stability control and lane departure warning, can help drivers maintain control and avoid accidents on curved roads. In addition, road design and engineering advancements, such as banking and improved road surfaces, can also contribute to safer speeds for curved roads.

5. What can drivers do to ensure they are traveling at a safe speed on curved roads?

Drivers should always follow posted speed limits and adjust their speed for the specific curved road they are driving on. It is also important to regularly maintain their vehicle to ensure it is in proper working condition. Additionally, drivers should pay attention to any warning signs or signals on the road and adjust their speed accordingly. If weather or road conditions are poor, drivers should slow down even more to ensure their safety on a curved road.