Banked Curve and skidding

In summary: The centripetal force is the force that keeps the car on its path. In summary, the problem involves a car rounding a curve with a speed of 30 m/s, when the curve is banked at the correct angle for a speed of 20 m/s. The minimum coefficient of static friction between the tires and the road must be determined to prevent skidding. Relevant equations include Ffr = μkN, N = mgcosθ, and Newton's second law, ∑F = ma. To solve the problem, a free body diagram should be created, including the forces of gravity, normal force, friction, and the resultant force. The resultant force must equal the centripetal force to keep the car on its path
PhysicsDerp

Homework Statement

A curve with a 140m radius on a level road is banked at the correct angle for a speed of 20 m/s. If an automobile rounds this curve at 30 m/s, what is the minimum coefficient of static friction between tires and road needed to prevent skidding?

Homework Equations

F_fr = MkN
N = mgcosθ
∑F = ma
∑F_net-x = mv^2/r = Nsinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

I have drawn my xy coordinate system so that the x component is parallel to the curve, and , and found that the normal force is mgcosθ. However, I don't know how to combine my equations together to find an angle theta. Is finding an angle here even the proper approach if the problem does not ask for it? Should I be doing something else instead?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello PhysicsDerp,

Welcome to Physics Forums! :smile:

PhysicsDerp said:

Homework Statement

A curve with a 140m radius on a level road is banked at the correct angle for a speed of 20 m/s. If an automobile rounds this curve at 30 m/s, what is the minimum coefficient of static friction between tires and road needed to prevent skidding?

Homework Equations

F_fr = MkN
Not sure what that equation is. Oh, wait. I get it: The force of friction, Ffr = μkN, where N is the normal force. Okay, that's good. :approve:

N = mgcosθ
Not so fast (see below).

∑F = ma
Yes, Newton's second law is important for this one. :smile:

∑F_net-x = mv^2/r = Nsinθ
Be careful there. It's not quite that simple.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have drawn my xy coordinate system so that the x component is parallel to the curve, and ,
That should work out. Personally, I would have simply stuck with the x-axis on the horizontal direction and the y-axis on the vertical.

I don't think changing the coordinate system such that the x-axis is parallel to the ramp will make the problem any easier. But whatever the case, it should still allow you to find the correct answer.

and found that the normal force is mgcosθ.
Something is not quite right there.

The normal force would be mgcosθ if the car were just sitting there at rest. But it's not; it's accelerating around the curve. The normal force is more complicated than that (regardless of the choice of coordinates).

However, I don't know how to combine my equations together to find an angle theta. Is finding an angle here even the proper approach if the problem does not ask for it? Should I be doing something else instead?

You might want to take another look at your free body diagram. Make sure that you have the following forces outlined on it:
  • The force due to gravity
  • The normal force
  • The force of friction
  • The resultant force (i.e., the net force)
The resultant (net) force is equal to ma. This is the force equal to the centripetal force.

Last edited:

1. What is a banked curve and how does it affect a car's movement?

A banked curve is a curved section of road or track that is higher on the outside edge and lower on the inside edge. This design allows a car to make a turn while maintaining its speed and stability. The banked curve uses the force of gravity to help the car stay on the track and reduces the need for friction to keep the car in place.

2. What causes a car to skid on a banked curve?

A car can skid on a banked curve when the speed is too high or when the angle of the bank is too steep. This can cause the car to lose traction and slide towards the outside of the curve. Other factors that can contribute to skidding include wet or icy road conditions, worn tires, or sudden changes in direction or speed.

3. How can a driver prevent skidding on a banked curve?

To prevent skidding on a banked curve, a driver should slow down and take the curve at a safe speed. It is also important to maintain proper tire pressure and ensure that the tires have enough tread for good traction. Drivers should also pay attention to road conditions and adjust their driving accordingly.

4. What is the difference between front-wheel skidding and rear-wheel skidding?

Front-wheel skidding occurs when the front wheels of a car lose traction and slide towards the outside of the curve. This can happen when the car is going too fast or when the front tires are not properly aligned. Rear-wheel skidding, on the other hand, happens when the back wheels lose traction and slide towards the outside of the curve. This can occur when the car's speed is too high or when the rear tires are worn or improperly inflated.

5. Can banked curves be dangerous for drivers?

While banked curves are designed to help cars make turns safely, they can still be dangerous if not approached with caution. If a car is going too fast or if the bank is too steep, the car can skid or even roll over. It is important for drivers to pay attention to warning signs and adjust their speed accordingly to avoid accidents on banked curves.