1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Banked curve

1. Mar 28, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Imagine another planet with an acceleration of 10.00 m/s^2 at its equator when ignoring the rotation of the planet. The radius is 6.2 x10^6 m. An object dropped at the equator yields an acceleration of 9.70 m/s^2. Determine the length of 1 day on this planet.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My teacher taught me how to solve this question, but there is just one step I don't understand
    10.00m/s^2 - 9.70m/s^2 = 0.3m/s^2 (centripetal acceleration)
    why does subtracting these two values give us the centripetal acceleration??
    On a test, if I get a similar question I know I have to subtract the two values, but I really want to learn the reason behind it.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you know how to derive the formula for centripetal acceleration in terms of velocity, using a vector triangle showing the change in velocity over a small increment of time ##\delta t##? A similar construction can be used to justify the above formula. There's a ##\cos\delta\theta## factor in there that is approximated by 1 to get the above formula.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted