Analysing a Circular Highway Curve: Angle, Friction & Speed

In summary, a circular highway curve with a radius of 200m is banked at an angle of 4.6 degrees, allowing a car traveling at 45km/h to make it around the curve with a frictionless surface. The centripetal force acting on the car at 40km/h is unknown, but the minimum coefficient of friction needed to prevent skidding is 0.816. If the radius of the curve is increased to 300m, a car must travel at a speed of 15.2 m/s to negotiate the curve without skidding. The equations used to solve these problems are tan(theta) = v^2/gr and v^2 = u_s gr.
chiurox

Homework Statement

A circular highway curve with a radius of 200m is banked at an angle such that a car traveling 45km/h can just make it around the curve if the highway surface is frictionless.
a. what is the angle between the highway surface and the horizontal?
b. if a car travels at 40km/h around the curve, what is the centripetal force acting on the car?
c. What is the minimum value of the coefficient of friction between the tires and the highway surface necessary to prevent the car in (b) from skidding?
d. If the angle of the highway curve is as in (a), but the radius of the curve is increased to 300m, what is the speed a car must be going in order to negotiate a curve without skidding?

Homework Equations

tan(theta) = v^2/gr

The Attempt at a Solution

45km/h would be 12.5m/s
a. tan(theta) = (12.5m/s)^2 / 9.8*200
theta = 4.6degrees
b. I know that F_n sin(theta) = mv^2/r
but I'm confused how to solve this one.
c. I'll leave this blank since I haven't solved (b)
d. sqrt{tan(4.6)(9.8)(300)} = v = 15.4m/s correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For part C, I have F_f = u_s F_n
v^2 = u_s gr
1600 = u_s(9.8)(200)
u_s = 0.816 right?

For part D, I have sqrt(tan(4.5)(9.8)(300)) = v = 15.2 m/s is that right?

I would like to provide a comprehensive response to the content provided. Firstly, let's start with the given information. We have a circular highway curve with a radius of 200m, banked at an angle that allows a car traveling at 45km/h to make it around the curve without any friction on the highway surface. From this, we can determine the angle between the highway surface and the horizontal to be 4.6 degrees, as calculated in the attempt at a solution.

Moving on to the next part of the problem, we are asked to find the centripetal force acting on a car traveling at 40km/h around the curve. To solve this, we need to use the formula Fc = mv^2/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the car, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the curve. However, we are not given the mass of the car, so we cannot solve this part of the problem.

Next, we are asked to find the minimum value of the coefficient of friction between the tires and the highway surface necessary to prevent the car from skidding at a speed of 40km/h. To solve this, we need to use the formula Ff = μmg, where Ff is the frictional force, μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the car, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Again, we are not given the mass of the car, so we cannot solve this part of the problem.

Finally, we are asked to find the speed a car must be going in order to negotiate a curve without skidding, given that the angle of the highway curve is 4.6 degrees and the radius is increased to 300m. To solve this, we can use the formula v = √(rgtanθ), where v is the required speed, r is the radius of the curve, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle between the highway surface and the horizontal. Plugging in the given values, we get v = 15.4m/s, as calculated in the attempt at a solution.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I would like to point out that in order to solve these problems accurately, we need to have all the necessary information, such as the mass of the car, in order to apply the relevant formulas. Without this information,

1. What is the purpose of analysing a circular highway curve?

Analysing a circular highway curve is essential for determining the proper angle, friction, and speed needed for vehicles to safely navigate the curve. It also helps engineers design and construct the curve to ensure it meets safety standards.

2. How is the angle of a circular highway curve determined?

The angle of a circular highway curve is determined by the radius of the curve and the distance between the curve and the centerline of the road. The sharper the curve, the greater the angle will be.

3. What role does friction play in analysing a circular highway curve?

Friction is a crucial factor in analysing a circular highway curve as it affects the traction and stability of vehicles while navigating the curve. The higher the friction, the more control a driver has over their vehicle.

4. How does speed impact a driver's ability to navigate a circular highway curve?

Speed is a critical factor in analysing a circular highway curve as it determines the centripetal force that keeps a vehicle on the curve. The higher the speed, the greater the centripetal force needed, which can increase the risk of a driver losing control.

5. What factors can affect the safety of a circular highway curve?

Several factors can impact the safety of a circular highway curve, including the angle, friction, speed, road conditions, and weather. It is crucial to consider all these factors when analysing and designing a curve to ensure the safety of drivers and passengers.