Banking corners Problem regarding assignment

• Thread starter Physics_Student101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Assignment
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with banking a corner in circular motion and finding the angle required for road safety. Various formulas and concepts such as centripetal force, normal reaction, and friction are mentioned in relation to solving the problem. The character "N" represents the normal reaction of the road.
Physics_Student101
hey guys I am having trouble with a banking problem i keep getting a sin theta value of 2 therefore i can't find the angle required, any ideas where I am going wrong, below is a copy of my formulas
Fnet = (MV^2) / R

Fnet = (1000*16.67^2) / 10

Fnet = 27788.89 N

Fc = Mac

Ac = V^2 / R

Ac = 16.67^2 / 10

Ac = 27.78889 ms ^ -2

Therefore

Fc = Mac

Fc = 1000 * 27.78889

Fc = 27788.89 N

G sin Ө = v^2 / R

9.8 sin Ө = 16.67^2 / 10

9.8 sin Ө = 27.78889

sin Ө = 27.78889 / 9.8

sin Ө = 2.836

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you gone through the text? I think your concept is not cleare. How you have written
G sin Ө = v^2 / R

im not sure what you mean, however the squares used to be a theta symbol if that's what you mean they just didnt convert into the forum.

what is the question and maybe we can help you better

i need to work out how banking a corner can help to increase road safety, using circular motion, friction etc... i have a car traveling at 60 km/h with a mass of 1000kg, the speed is allowed to vary but the mass must stay the same...

In this case the ideal situation is such that the sideway friction force is zero.
The component of normal reaction will provide the necessary centripetal force.
Resolve normal reaction in horizontal and vertical direction.

how would i work out theta in this case?

Draw a diagram and indicate the forces you will find

N cosq = mg (q is for theeta)
N sinq = mv^2/R
gives tanq = V^2/gR

what does the character N stand for?

N stands for the normal reaction of the road which is normal to the roas and makes and angle 90 - q degree with the horisontal and q with upward vertical.

Sorry for late, I was out of station.

Last edited:

1. What is the "Banking Corners Problem" in banking?

The Banking Corners Problem refers to the issue of banks being unable to effectively manage their risk exposure when they have large amounts of deposits and loans that are not aligned with their assets and liabilities. This can lead to financial instability and potential bankruptcy for the bank.

2. How does the Banking Corners Problem affect customers?

The Banking Corners Problem can affect customers in various ways. If a bank goes bankrupt, customers may lose their deposits and savings. It can also lead to higher interest rates on loans and lower interest rates on deposits, making it more difficult for customers to save and borrow money.

3. What are the potential solutions to the Banking Corners Problem?

There are several potential solutions to the Banking Corners Problem. One approach is for banks to diversify their assets and liabilities, spreading out their risk exposure. Additionally, implementing stricter regulations and oversight can help prevent banks from taking on excessive risk. Another solution is for banks to engage in risk management strategies, such as hedging and diversification, to mitigate their risk exposure.

4. How do banks determine the amount of risk they can take on?

Banks determine the amount of risk they can take on through various methods, including stress testing and risk assessment models. These tools help banks evaluate their current risk exposure and determine how much risk they can take on without jeopardizing their financial stability.

5. How can customers protect themselves from the effects of the Banking Corners Problem?

Customers can protect themselves from the effects of the Banking Corners Problem by being informed about the financial stability of the banks they do business with. They can also diversify their own assets and investments to reduce their reliance on a single bank. Additionally, staying updated on any changes in interest rates and regulations can help customers anticipate and prepare for potential impacts on their finances.