Solving Banking Problems in Circular Motion - Tips and Techniques for Beginners

• Thread starter starchaaser
  • Start date
In summary, the person is seeking clarification on a problem involving banking turns in uniform circular motion. They mention being confused about decomposing the normal vector instead of the force due to gravity. The response advises them to practice and gain a better understanding through experience rather than relying on a set formula.
starchaaser
Hi, first post here :)
sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything.

I'm doing some problems involving banking turns in uniform circular motion.

I'm slightly confused because up until know I have been decomposing the force due to gravity to solve problems with inclines... now here, the answer shows us decomposing the normal vector.

Why is this and how can I know which vector to decompose on future problems? Thanks for the replies

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the problem. The idea is to do many problems, to get the feeling of it. There is no cooking recipes. You need to practice.

Cheers

.Hello, thank you for sharing your question with us. I can provide some insights on solving banking problems in circular motion.

Firstly, it is important to understand the concept of circular motion and the forces involved. In circular motion, an object moves in a circular path at a constant speed. This requires a centripetal force, which is directed towards the center of the circle, to keep the object moving in a curved path. In the case of banking turns, the force of gravity also plays a role in keeping the object on the curved path.

Now, to your question about decomposing vectors. In problems involving inclines, we decompose the force of gravity into its components parallel and perpendicular to the incline to solve for the net force. Similarly, in banking turns, we decompose the normal force into its components parallel and perpendicular to the banked surface. This is because the normal force acts perpendicular to the surface, while the centripetal force acts parallel to the surface.

To know which vector to decompose, it is important to identify the forces acting on the object and their direction. In the case of banking turns, the normal force and the centripetal force are the main forces involved. Therefore, we decompose the normal force to solve for the net force acting on the object in the direction of motion.

I hope this helps clarify your confusion. Remember, in circular motion problems, it is important to analyze the forces involved and their direction in order to solve them accurately. Best of luck with your future problems!

1. What is circular motion in banking problems?

Circular motion in banking problems refers to the motion of an object, such as a car or a cyclist, around a curved path. In this type of motion, the object follows a circular path and experiences a centripetal force that keeps it moving in a circular motion.

2. Why is it important to solve banking problems in circular motion?

Solving banking problems in circular motion is important because it helps us understand the forces involved in circular motion, which can be applied in real-life situations such as banking turns in driving or the motion of satellites in orbit. It also allows us to calculate the necessary parameters for safe and efficient circular motion.

3. What are some techniques for solving banking problems in circular motion?

Some techniques for solving banking problems in circular motion include using equations such as Newton's second law and the centripetal force equation, understanding the concept of banking angle, and using trigonometric functions to calculate the necessary angles and forces.

4. How do beginners approach solving banking problems in circular motion?

Beginners should first understand the basic concepts of circular motion, including centripetal force and banking angle. They can then apply the equations and techniques mentioned earlier to solve the problem step-by-step, making sure to label all known and unknown variables and units.

5. What are some common mistakes made when solving banking problems in circular motion?

Some common mistakes made when solving banking problems in circular motion include not considering all the forces acting on the object, using incorrect equations or not setting them up correctly, and not converting units to match the given information. It is essential to carefully read and analyze the problem and double-check all calculations to avoid these mistakes.