Banned from Driving & Working: Minor Blackouts Lead to Major Consequences

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: I think it was just a coincidence. In summary, Wolram has been having blackouts for a few months, and although he doesn't lose consciousness, they are debilitating and could be dangerous if he were to drive or work. He has been told to spend more time with friends and relax, and he is looking for a job.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
By my doctor and because i am banned from driving i am banned from working, all as a result of a few minor sort of blackouts, i only went to see the doctor to get some pills or medication and wham he thwacks me with this, now i have to through weeks of tests before i can drive/work again.:mad:

Physics news on Phys.org
what exactly is a minor sort of blackout? isn't that like a minor sort of decapitation?
Edit: I'm serious, if I had a blackout and wasn't fall down drunk at the time I would be freaking out. I'd jump in my car and head to the doctor's oooh nevermind.

Last edited:
That's tough, Wolram

But getting those blackouts looked after and hopefully fixed, is probably a whole lot better than having a blackout in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Ouch - get well soon.

but better you being safe rather than me being sorry.

Sorry to hear that, Worlam. Best to get checked up thoroughly. My brother had a series of blackouts years back and he was diagnosed with a form of epilepsy that is well-controlled with medication. No problems since he started treatment. I hope your situation is as easily resolved.

Andre said:
That's tough, Wolram

But getting those blackouts looked after and hopefully fixed, is probably a whole lot better than having a blackout in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Yes i can see the reasons for banning but i should be allowed to work ,95% of the work i do is non dangerous, and as i explained to my doctor these black outs are not total they are just debilitating for about 5 minutes with no pre or after effects.

turbo-1 said:
Sorry to hear that, Worlam. Best to get checked up thoroughly. My brother had a series of blackouts years back and he was diagnosed with a form of epilepsy that is well-controlled with medication. No problems since he started treatment. I hope your situation is as easily resolved.

The problem is i have maybe weeks and weeks stuck here with no way of getting from A to B, just stuck here all by myself alone with nothing to do, i will go crackers.

wolram said:
The problem is i have maybe weeks and weeks stuck here with no way of getting from A to B, just stuck here all by myself alone with nothing to do, i will go crackers.

Well, you do have us :wink: .

I understand, though...if I were stuck I would go crazy, too. How long have these been happening?

Five minutes is a long time to lose consciousness...I wouldn't take it lightly.

There's plenty to do. Just take example on retirees.

mow your lawn, yell at kids playing on said lawn, look out the window to make sure lawn is safe.

I'm sure you'll get the hang of it in no time.

lisab said:
Well, you do have us :wink: .

I understand, though...if I were stuck I would go crazy, too. How long have these been happening?

Five minutes is a long time to lose consciousness...I wouldn't take it lightly.

Memory is a funny thing, i can remember a few but other people keep adding in their memories
:grumpy: and may be it goes back years but i am not sure.
And the thing is i do not loose consciousness, i am still aware of people around me, i can fight against it for a short time, like the last time i was driving home and had time to pull over and stop the car, so it is not life threatening.

You mean you been lucky.

Wolram, that could be serious, and I agree you shouldn't be driving or working for now.

Spend more time with us. Build some models. Go searching for relics.

Well, I'm sure all those g'forces you're pulling when going around the round-a-bouts at 100km/hr isn't going to help the situation.

I had an episode back in march where I was losing consciousness, couldn't speak, couldn't stand, extremely cold, and had a white blood cell count of 17, all this was over a period of about 10 hours. A friend of the family drove me to the hospital where they hooked a IV up to me and performed every drug test there is (worst pain I have ever felt) along with CT scans, MRI, EEG, X-rays, etc. No one knew what the hell happened to me, but the neurologist wanted to stop me from driving also. He didn't enforce it so I just drove anyway but in MI its a 6 month wait from your last blackout. I've been find since and have narrowed down the cause to the food I ate.

For the two days before this episode I had a diet that included a lot of preservatives, especially nitrates. I did an experiment by eating a lot of lunch meat in a short period of time and got some powerful migraines from it. Iv been staying away from such food and have been doing great ever since. Moral of the post, check your diet, there's lots of very bad stuff in most foods.

Considering how many accidents happen at your workplace without blackouts, I'm not sure the prohibition from working is such a bad thing either...unless they can reassign you to some other job off the factory floor that would be safer. I assume there's some sort of disability pay or such if you can't work so you're not out of a paycheck too?

Anyway, if you can't drive or work, consider it good motivation to go through all the tests to find out sooner than later what's wrong and get treated rather than putting it off.

Poor Kia must be having a really rough time of it right now, with her fiance having had that heart attack, and now her dad having blackouts. Get yourself better for her sake! :wink:

Cyrus said:
Well, I'm sure all those g'forces you're pulling when going around the round-a-bouts at 100km/hr isn't going to help the situation.

Well there is a limit, any faster and i would disappear up my own exhaust pipes.

Moonbear said:
Considering how many accidents happen at your workplace without blackouts, I'm not sure the prohibition from working is such a bad thing either...unless they can reassign you to some other job off the factory floor that would be safer. I assume there's some sort of disability pay or such if you can't work so you're not out of a paycheck too?

Anyway, if you can't drive or work, consider it good motivation to go through all the tests to find out sooner than later what's wrong and get treated rather than putting it off.

Poor Kia must be having a really rough time of it right now, with her fiance having had that heart attack, and now her dad having blackouts. Get yourself better for her sake! :wink:

Kia is loving it as she lives to drive, and quite likes to boss her dad around, pay back time,
if ever there was a time to join the foreign legion.

My brother lost his license due to black outs from complications with Diabetes. He was in some minor accidents so I don't think anyone but him complained about losing his license. He adapted and walks and uses the bus. Can't you do the same? I can understand the work aspect though. That has got to be rough.

FredGarvin said:
My brother lost his license due to black outs from complications with Diabetes. He was in some minor accidents so I don't think anyone but him complained about losing his license. He adapted and walks and uses the bus. Can't you do the same? I can understand the work aspect though. That has got to be rough.

Fred , there is no bus service to my village, the nearest bus rout is 3 miles away and that does not cover my work start finish times, I would love to be able to use PT to get to and from work
but the reality is it does not exist.

wolram said:
a few minor sort of blackouts

Could you try and sweep that under the rug a little more?

Its better this than you be driving and then blackout and kill someone, or yourself...

Wolram, you know if you went to work you would black out inside the workings of one of those big pastry machines and come out as a fondant covered wollie cake. :frown:

While a fondant covered wollie cake, indeed sounds tasty, it would be nicer to enjoy your company for many more years to come. I hope they get to the bottom of all of this quickly.

wolram said:
By my doctor and because i am banned from driving i am banned from working, all as a result of a few minor sort of blackouts, i only went to see the doctor to get some pills or medication and wham he thwacks me with this, now i have to through weeks of tests before i can drive/work again.:mad:

Sorry to hear that, Wolly. Maybe it will be figured out quickly.

yeah--sorry to hear---maybe its something as simple as diet, and/or just being tired

wolram said:
Kia is loving it as she lives to drive, and quite likes to boss her dad around, pay back time,
if ever there was a time to join the foreign legion.

:rofl: That's good if she likes to drive and doesn't mind helping you get around or doing some errands for you. She's not going to let you forget every time you refused to let her have the car keys when she was younger, is she? :biggrin: I knew I liked Kia...tell her she needs to stop by here more often. :wink:

Moonbear said:
:rofl: That's good if she likes to drive and doesn't mind helping you get around or doing some errands for you. She's not going to let you forget every time you refused to let her have the car keys when she was younger, is she? :biggrin: I knew I liked Kia...tell her she needs to stop by here more often. :wink:

OMG no, i spent 2 hrs in friendly argument with her last night, bless her when she gets an idea in her head nothing will will shift it, her bf is out of hospital with 2 stents in his veins and is looking good, but he gets tired quick, the poor guy just sat there agog as kia and i went at it hammer and tonges.

What are minor blackouts?

Minor blackouts refer to a temporary loss of consciousness, often lasting only a few seconds. They can be caused by a variety of factors such as low blood sugar, dehydration, or stress.

Why can minor blackouts lead to major consequences?

Minor blackouts can lead to major consequences because they can occur unexpectedly while a person is driving or operating machinery, putting themselves and others at risk of accidents and injuries.

What are the consequences of being banned from driving and working due to minor blackouts?

The consequences of being banned from driving and working due to minor blackouts can include loss of employment, financial difficulties, and restricted mobility. It can also have a significant impact on one's mental and emotional well-being.

What should I do if I experience minor blackouts?

If you experience minor blackouts, it is important to seek medical attention to determine the cause. Your doctor may recommend lifestyle changes or medications to prevent future blackouts. It is also important to follow any restrictions or guidelines set by your doctor to ensure your safety and the safety of others.

Can minor blackouts be prevented?

In some cases, minor blackouts can be prevented by making lifestyle changes such as managing stress levels, staying hydrated, and maintaining a healthy diet. It is important to follow any recommendations from your doctor to reduce the risk of future blackouts.