Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Banned member

1. Apr 1, 2016 #1
    Dear PF Forum,
    I've seen some usernames stroke out. Banned?
    Yes, they are.
    What are the consequences of being banned?
    I've been coresponding with a banned member.
    1: Can they create a thread? I don't think so
    2: Can they post a message? I don't think so, but can they?
    3: Can they chat in private message?
    Just want to know :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

They cannot do those things. There would be no point in banning users if they could.

4. Apr 1, 2016 #3
  5. Apr 1, 2016 #4

jtbell

I can't. Maybe PF gods like Greg can.

6. Apr 1, 2016 #5

mfb

2016 Award

No we cannot.
    Greg could access the database, but won't do that unless there are really urgent reasons or unless he is required to do so by law.
    Probably.

7. Apr 1, 2016 #6
    No, no. It's not important. There's nothing private in that chat. Just in case you're curious.
    Okay. Because I've seen some member with their names stroke out. I didn't think of it until this Teo Del Fuego has strike in it, but yesterday he hadn't. That's why I search about stroke name.
    Ryan42 stroke out, too. I think he/she is clever.

Okayy, mfb. Thanks for your confirmation.

8. Apr 1, 2016 #7
    Nope, it's not important. And I don't intend to report Teo, either. It's just that to prove you that he messaged me before his name stroke out.

9. Apr 1, 2016 #8
    I think the practice of banning is somewhat rash, understandable as it is to avoid cranks. Greg could soften it a little, I would appreciate if he did so,
    as all new ideas can't be presented in Physics Forums, who in this way only permits discussions of old stablished ideas, whithout renovation.

10. Apr 1, 2016 #9

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This is false.

PF has many threads that discuss new ideas (have you looked?). It is just that they must first be published in a recognized peer-reviewed journal and NOT simply someone's brainchild that can't even make it into those journals. It takes NO knowledge to spew out "new ideas". How will this add to "renovation" (sic)?

PF has a very high signal-to-noise ratio, which is why it attracts many professionals in various fields. Changing this policy will diminish the very thing that makes PF unique and valuable. Why would we want to do that?

Zz.

11. Apr 1, 2016 #10

Nugatory

Although you may be able to see that a member has been banned you don't have the whole story leading up to the ban because you don't see the removed posts that led to the ban, the private messages we've exchanged with the offender, or the discussion among the mentors.

Except for the unambiguous cases (spambots, obvious and hopeless crackpottery with no interest in listening, personal insults) bans are almost always the result of multiple violations from a member who clearly understands the PF rules but refuses to obey them.

12. Apr 25, 2016 #11
    "BANNED" ANALOGY -- What good is a "black hole" if things went both IN and OUT?

13. Apr 25, 2016 #12
    But, Hawking Radiation goes out?

14. Apr 25, 2016 #13

mfb

2016 Award

No, Hawking radiation is produced outside.
    You can still see posts of banned members, but those are produced before the members are banned. No banned member can make new posts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted