Banned words for 2007

• Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I love this list every year. :biggrin:

Lake Superior State University proposes an exit strategy for 2006: the 32nd annual List of Words Banished from the Queen's English for Mis-Use, Over-Use and General Uselessness.
http://www.lssu.edu/banished/

Some examples from the list:
COMBINED CELEBRITY NAMES -- Celebrity duos of yore -- BogCall (Bogart and Bacall), Lardy (Laurel and Hardy), and CheeChong (Cheech and Chong) -- just got lucky.

"It's bad enough that celebrities have to be the top news stories. Now we've given them obnoxious names such as 'Bragelina,' 'TomKat' and 'Bennifer.'" -- M. Foster, Port Huron, Michigan.

"It's so annoying, idiotic and so lame and pathetic that it's 'lamethetic.'" -- Ed of Centreville, Virginia.
GONE/WENT MISSING -- "It makes 'missing' sound like a place you can visit, such as the Poconos. Is the person missing, or not? She went there but maybe she came back. 'Is
missing' or 'was missing' would serve us better." -- Robin Dennis, Flower Mound, Texas.
WE'RE PREGNANT -- Grounded for nine months.

"Were men feeling left out of the whole morning sickness/huge belly/labor experience? You may both be expecting, but only one of you is pregnant." -- Sharla Hulsey, Sac City, Iowa.
http://www.lssu.edu/banished/current.php

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
hey! I thought we ditched this one last year!:mad:

TRUTHINESS – "This word, popularized by The Colbert Report and exalted by the American Dialectic Society's Word of the Year in 2005 has been used up. What used to ring true is getting all the truth wrung out of it." -- Joe Grimm, Detroit, Michigan.

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"Boasts" was the awesomest! It completely pwned that list.

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"Boasts" was the awesomest! It completely pwned that list.
:rofl: I like the explanations that went with it. :biggrin: "Kitchen laments cracked linoleum." :rofl:

Glad you popped back in, I thought you might have fallen asleep at the cryostat and were going to wake up finding your forehead frozen to it!

And, MIH, cute kitty!

Ooh, about 10 min to the New Year here, so better turn on the TV so I don't miss it. :rofl:

Evo

Mentor
hey! I thought we ditched this one last year!:mad:
Hey, don't I recognize that face in your avatar? I'ts laying on my keyboard right now. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
:biggrin: Hi Dr. Foofer!
Looks a little like Ember too...she has gray tabby on her face even though the rest of her is calico. But, she has darker eyeliner than Dr. Foofer.

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hey, don't I recognize that face in your avatar? I'ts laying on my keyboard right now. :biggrin:
Hah. You sounded much more drunk when your post said "I's laying on my keyboard right now."

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hah. You sounded much more drunk when your post said "I's laying on my keyboard right now."
hee hee That's her Southern flirty talk. TE loves it. :wink:

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
:rofl: And here I thought it was Dr. Foofer posting and he was just having a little trouble with speaking human.

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Looks a little like Ember too...she has gray tabby on her face even though the rest of her is calico. But, she has darker eyeliner than Dr. Foofer.
we are going to need some new pics of her soon. :smile:

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
we are going to need some new pics of her soon. :smile:
I'll go switch computers and upload a few! I have no shortage of Ember pictures (though, I haven't taken too many since she got spayed...she doesn't want me to post nude photos of her, so insists I wait until the fur grows back :biggrin:).

They may actually be sued by Google.

"Might as well banish it. The word has been replaced by 'google.'" -- Michael Raczko, Swanton, Ohio.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Rehab: As it applies to actors, comedians, and congressmen.

Suggested alternatives: Hiding, evading, dodging, miching

They may actually be sued by Google.
Remember that Coke had the same problem: those names that are too successful and really do become "household words" loose their trademark status.

Xerox had a similar problem. It'd be interesting to dig up a list of things that were once trademarks but are no more.

My favorite word of that nature is Dumpster. I'd be willing to bet almost no one even realizes it's the name of the company that manufactures them.

verty

Homework Helper