Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Baptist minister calls for Obama's death

1. Aug 28, 2009 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.examiner.com/x-8928-Phil...ristian-Pastor-calls-for-the-Presidents-death

More from the nutty religious right. While I have no problem with denouncing policies that one believes to be wrong, this is way over the line. Not to mention that it is antithetical to Christianity to pray for someone to go to hell.

Remember the guy with the AK47 in Arizona? Apparently he attended the sermon mentioned above.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2009 #2
    Not every person who attends a preacher's church will follow what what they preach; My mom hates my pastor and she attends the church he preaches at everyday;Many did not agree that the beliefs of obama's pastor tied exactly into the beliefs of that obama held, so you should automatically labeled the guy who carried in AK47 a nutjob; There is an alex jones interview with the AK47 guy floating around on youtube and he sounded like a rational person to me; He even said he intentionally did not put the hand on his AK47 because he did not want to intimidate anyone around him; The guy calling for obama's death is clearly a nutjob and the authorities should have him arrested for calling for a person's death;

4. Aug 28, 2009 #3
    The source is the Philadelphia-Atheism-Examiner?

5. Aug 28, 2009 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought it was just the Examiner...

It was on CNN with recorded excerpts from his sermon. I just grabbed the first link that appeared in a news search. At a glance it appeared to be accurate.

6. Aug 28, 2009 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Very offensive language
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-qr6gxIHhQ

Part II
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-OT8_cwWC8

Consider the irony of needing a language warning for a Baptist minister, in a science forum!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  7. Aug 28, 2009 #6
    What does that tell us about CNN?

8. Aug 28, 2009 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It tells me that they are helping to expose nuts like this guy. This will put pressure on those around him to fire him. It sounds like he needs professional help and certainly shouldn't be running a church. The fact that the idiot with the AK47 attended this sermon, assuming that to be true, makes it even more interesting and significant. Perhaps this is really just a terrorist group disguised as a church. Who knows? But I'm sure he has already had a talk with the Secret Service.

9. Aug 28, 2009 #8
    It's a crime to threaten the president of the United States. Wonder if he will face charges or if the court will let him slip because he is a Christian.

10. Aug 28, 2009 #9
    The guy is a freak. But he didn't threaten the President. Praying for someone to die (and go to hell) isn't a threat. It's just bad preaching.

11. Aug 28, 2009 #10

ideasrule

Homework Helper

As much as I'd like to disagree with the minister, I'd have to say that he's right: the Bible does call for violence and torture against homosexuals and other "lewd" people. Not only that, it clearly demonstrates God's willingness to use mass murder against these people, something which has long become appalling to civilized societies.

Yet another example of how religion obstructs social and moral progress.

12. Aug 28, 2009 #11
    Find a single passage in the New Testament of the bible that supports your argument (that's the part that created Christianity). Send it to me via PM because this is not the forum to bash/endorse religion. Otherwise you are just posting unsupported nonsense.

And were not even talking about homosexuals or "lewd" people or mass murders. We're talking about a pastor who is off his rocker praying for the death of the President.

13. Aug 28, 2009 #12
  14. Aug 29, 2009 #13
    Playing with the borders of democracy, just like trying to find out where torture begins.

15. Aug 29, 2009 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Suffice it to say that is all old Testament. Christianity is based on the principles of turn the other cheek when struck, love your neighbor, love your enemy as yourself, let him without sin cast the first stone.

This is not a religious argument. It is a historical fact. That many Christians don't act like Christians doesn't change the facts. It does show that this guy is not only a nut, but a hypocrite.

Whoops, I see Drankin got you straightened out on that fact.

16. Aug 29, 2009 #15
    What are you talking about? Could you provide some definition?

17. Aug 29, 2009 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, he is a nut as well, but he didn't threaten the President - he isn't "trying to light a fire under people's pants" to "abort" the President. And he isn't running a Baptist Church. He is some backstreet author who probably doesn't have an audience beyond gang members that we already know to be criminals. He is also probably bitter over Katrina [it was a hearing of some sort for Katrina victims], as he should be. That entire ordeal was a fiasco, and blacks bore the brunt of it.

Did you note that one black guy - the moderator - who said something like, no one is THAT black?

18. Aug 29, 2009 #17
    Wow. Just watched that clip. Mental illness in the pulpit.

My favorite band since the 90s is a three man band. Lead singer/bassist is black and the drummer and guitarist are white. I KNEW they've have been trying to kill him for years... I knew it.

19. Aug 29, 2009 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It only listed him as an author.

20. Aug 29, 2009 #19
    Ivan, this Baptist wacko didn't actually threaten the Prez! His words are definately hateful (he passionately hates Obama), but he didn't actually cross that line of threatening the POTUS.

Listening to that sermon, he's totally wacked.

21. Aug 29, 2009 #20
    He was speaking from a pulpit in the vid.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook