Bar and rail in magnetic field

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving a bar on rails with external forces. The question asks about achieving steady state and the direction of current in the system. The concept of steady state is clarified as the velocity of the bar, and a calculation is provided for finding the velocity. The direction of the velocity vector is determined by the direction of acceleration due to external forces.
dimpledur

Homework Statement

Couple questions regarding the following image:
Untitled-3.png

What is meant when the problem states that "steady state can be achieved"? Will current be induced in this set up due to the acceleration to the right? For example, would I go Fg1-Fg2-Ffriction= Fmagnetic, and from there calculate the velocity of the bar at steady state? Will the bar even be moving to the right in steady state?
I can't seem to find any notes regarding this. How does one determine the direction? I found this type of question easier when there was an actual current through the system..

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I've come to realize steady state refers to the velocity, meaning dv/dt. Could someone please check my work for the following question solving for the velocity of the bar.

Please note that the question states the bar is 1m long, but the rails are only 0.75m apart. l would equal 0.75 for this question then right?

m1g+μmg+IlB=m2g

note: I= lemfl/R=Blv/R

thus, v=gR(m2-μm-m1)/(l^2*B^2)

v=[(9.81)(1)(10-0.5-5)]/(0.75^2*0.5^2)
v=313.9 m/s directed along the rail.

Did I do that right? Thanks.

Last edited:
I got the same.

I wouldn't merely state "on the rail" as a sense of direction for the velocity vector. You need to distinguish between right and left. As for determining the direction, determine which direction the bar will accelerate due to the external forces, and once steady state is achieved, the velocity vector will be in the same direction. Steady state in this sense merely means [tex]\frac{dv}{dt}=0[/tex].

"Steady state" refers to a state where all variables in the system have reached a constant level and there is no further change over time, such as in this case where the bar has reached a constant velocity. In this setup, the bar will experience a force in the direction of the magnetic field and will accelerate to the right until it reaches steady state. This acceleration will induce a current in the bar, and the direction of this current can be determined using the right-hand rule. As for the direction of the bar's motion, it will indeed be moving to the right in steady state as there is a net force acting on it in that direction. I would recommend reviewing the principles of electromagnetism and the right-hand rule to better understand this problem.

1. What is a bar and rail in a magnetic field?

A bar and rail in a magnetic field is a simple demonstration of how a conductor can experience a force when placed in a magnetic field. It consists of a conducting bar or rod that is free to move along a pair of conducting rails that are connected to a power supply and a magnet, creating a magnetic field.

2. How does a bar and rail in a magnetic field work?

When a current is passed through the bar and rail, the current interacts with the magnetic field created by the magnet, resulting in a force on the bar according to the right-hand rule. This force causes the bar to move along the rails, demonstrating the effect of the magnetic field on a conductor.

3. What factors affect the motion of the bar and rail in a magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field, the current passing through the bar, and the length of the bar all affect the motion of the bar and rail in a magnetic field. Additionally, the orientation of the bar and the direction of the current can also impact the force and direction of motion.

4. What is the significance of the bar and rail in a magnetic field?

The bar and rail in a magnetic field is a simple yet effective demonstration of the principles of electromagnetism and how a conductor can experience a force in the presence of a magnetic field. It is also a common experiment in physics education to help students understand the relationship between electricity and magnetism.

5. What are some real-world applications of the bar and rail in a magnetic field?

The bar and rail in a magnetic field is used in various devices, such as electric motors and generators, which rely on the interaction between a magnetic field and a conductor to produce motion or electricity. It is also used in magnetic levitation trains, in which the force between the bar and the rails is utilized to lift and propel the train forward.