Bar and Weights _Torques

• Thread starter mcdelilah
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a beam suspended by a single rope and the steps needed to find the unknown mass attached to one end. The correct approach is to calculate the sum of external forces and set it to zero. The tension in the rope is given as 637 N and the beam is in static equilibrium. The person asking for help is advised to show their calculations in order for it to be reviewed.
mcdelilah
Hi,

May someone please help me with this problem because there seems to be something that I am missing. I know that I am suppose to get the sum of all the external forces, and then set them to zero. Well, after my calculations, I am still wrong. The question is:

A beam of mass mb = 10.0 kg, is suspended from the ceiling by a single rope. It has a mass of m2 = 40.0 kg attached at one end and an unknown mass m1 attached at the other. The beam has a length of L = 3 m, it is in static equilibrium, and it is horizontal. The tension in the rope is T = 637 N.

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume the problem is to find the unknown mass? Using the fact that the sum of the forces is zero is the correct approach. Show what you did and we can take a look.

Hello,

It seems like you are on the right track in terms of finding the sum of all external forces and setting it equal to zero. However, there may be some other factors at play that you may have missed in your calculations. Here are a few things to consider:

1. Make sure you are taking into account the weight of the beam itself. This will contribute to the downward force and will need to be included in your calculations.

2. Are you considering the torque produced by the weights on either end of the beam? Remember that torque is calculated by multiplying the force by the distance from the pivot point. In this case, the pivot point would be where the beam is attached to the ceiling.

3. It may be helpful to draw a free body diagram to visualize all the forces acting on the beam. This can help you identify any forces that you may have missed in your calculations.

I hope these tips help you solve the problem. Remember to double check your calculations and make sure all the forces and torques are accounted for. Good luck!

1. What is a bar and weights torque?

A bar and weights torque is a measurement of the turning or twisting force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance between the point of rotation and the point where the force is being applied.

2. How is a bar and weights torque measured?

A bar and weights torque can be measured using a torque wrench or by using the formula T = F x d, where T is the torque, F is the applied force, and d is the distance between the point of rotation and the point where the force is being applied.

3. What is the difference between static and dynamic torque?

Static torque refers to the amount of force needed to keep an object in a stationary position, whereas dynamic torque refers to the amount of force needed to move an object in a circular motion.

4. How does the weight distribution affect the bar and weights torque?

The weight distribution of the bar and weights can affect the torque by changing the distance between the point of rotation and the point where the force is being applied. This can result in a change in the amount of torque applied to the object.

5. What are some common applications of bar and weights torque?

Bar and weights torque is commonly used in various industries such as automotive, construction, and manufacturing. It is also used in physics experiments and engineering designs to determine the strength and stability of structures and machines.