1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bar and Weights _Torques

1. Jul 6, 2006 #1

May someone please help me with this problem because there seems to be something that I am missing. I know that I am suppose to get the sum of all the external forces, and then set them to zero. Well, after my calculations, I am still wrong. The question is:

A beam of mass mb = 10.0 kg, is suspended from the ceiling by a single rope. It has a mass of m2 = 40.0 kg attached at one end and an unknown mass m1 attached at the other. The beam has a length of L = 3 m, it is in static equilibrium, and it is horizontal. The tension in the rope is T = 637 N.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I assume the problem is to find the unknown mass? Using the fact that the sum of the forces is zero is the correct approach. Show what you did and we can take a look.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?