1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bar of soap

1. Oct 3, 2004 #1
    A wet bar of soap slides freely down a ramp 9.35 m long inclined at 7.00°. How long does it take to reach the bottom? Assume muk = 0.0550.

Okay I've got my x & y componants
    9.35cos(7)=9.28
    9.35sin(7)=1.14

But now what since I don't have the mass of the soap or the acceleration, what do I do next?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2004 #2
    Draw yourself a free-body diagram of the situation. It should be pretty clear to you from then on.

4. Oct 3, 2004 #3
    Okay I drew my FBD but I still don't know how much time it would take the soap to slide down the ramp. Maybe I'm missing something.
    I have the frictional force going NW the normal force going NE and the weight force going South... is that right?

5. Oct 3, 2004 #4
    Yes. Set up the equations using Newton's 2. law, solve for the acceleration and use some kinematics to solve for time.

6. Oct 3, 2004 #5
    How do I solve for acceleration if the mass is unknown?

7. Oct 3, 2004 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, but since the frictional force, the gravity and the "ma" terms are all proportional to the mass, it's a common factor which you can eliminate
    (the solution is independent of the mass)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?