Bare potential energy equation

In summary, the speaker is discussing a problem related to potential energy and its relationship with charge. They have tried different methods, including using the bare potential energy equation and integrating over half of a sphere, but are confused by the results they are getting. They mention the possibility of the charge of an electron pushing against itself and are seeking an explanation for this concept.
Zaphodx57x
I am having a problem understanding this problem which references this exercise .

I tried it a couple different ways. I used
[tex]\begin{multline*}
\Delta U(Potential Energy) = Uf - Ui = Uf - U(r = infinity) = Uf - 0 \\
dU = Uf = -W = \int F * ds = \int E * Q * ds \\
Uf = -\int E * Q * dr = -\int \frac{kqQ}{r^2} = \frac{kqQ}{r}
\end{multline*}[/tex]
I also tried using the bare potential energy equation and using two arbitrary surface areas (dA) on opposite sides of the sphere with a distance between charges of 2r , then integrating each over just half of the sphere, which provided the same result.
The problem I have is that this result gives me a pretty decent result for the mass of an electron if I assume that q = Q = charge of an electron. But this assumption seems to say that the electron is pushing against itself by its full charge.
That is a force [itex]\frac{QQ}{r^2}[/itex] is present instead of a [itex]\frac {(Q)(q}{r^2}[/itex] where [itex]q = \frac {Q}{n}[/itex] or some other fractional or modified charge.
This almost makes sense to me in that if a sphere were to have a charge spread evenly over its surface and its radius is infinity, it still acts as if it has all its charge at its center and therefore would resist a decreasing radius of like charge.

If anyone can find a way to explain why this problem makes sense I would really appreciate it. I just don't understand how the Potential energy can contain the electron's charge twice, when there is only one charge to begin with.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oops, I posted this in the wrong place, i'll repost in the homework section.

1. What is the bare potential energy equation?

The bare potential energy equation is a mathematical representation of the potential energy of a system without taking into account any external forces or interactions. It is often used in theoretical physics and in studying the behavior of particles in isolation.

2. How is the bare potential energy equation different from the total potential energy equation?

The total potential energy equation takes into account all external forces and interactions, while the bare potential energy equation only considers the potential energy of the system itself. This means that the total potential energy equation will give a more accurate representation of the system's behavior in the real world, while the bare potential energy equation is used for theoretical purposes.

3. What are the variables in the bare potential energy equation?

The variables in the bare potential energy equation depend on the specific system being studied, but they typically include the mass of the particles, their positions, and any relevant physical constants, such as the gravitational constant.

4. How is the bare potential energy equation used in physics?

The bare potential energy equation is used in theoretical physics to study the behavior of systems in isolation. It is often used in conjunction with other equations, such as the Hamiltonian, to describe the dynamics of particles in a system.

5. Can the bare potential energy equation be applied to real-world situations?

No, the bare potential energy equation is a theoretical concept and does not take into account real-world factors such as external forces and interactions. However, it can be used as a starting point for more complex equations that do consider these factors.