Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Barium hydroxide

1. Jan 9, 2004 #1
    I have this question to do for homework and i cant find the answer anywhere so please can someone help me. Barium hydroxide can sometimes be used instead of limewater to detect small quantities of CO2. Why is Barium hydroxide preferred here and in using it instead of sodium hydroxide for titrations where it is important to exclude dissolved carbonate ions? Please help. Thank-you
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

BaOH reacts with the acidic oxide, the carbon dioxide, to form a salt and water; and thus CO2 is gotten rid of this way. Also barium carbonate is an insoluble substance in water; thus by having barium metals we can effectively precipitate the carbonate.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2004
  4. Jan 11, 2004 #3
    I think you mean Ba(OH)2?
    What does barium carbonate look like?
    I looked it up on chemfinder and it shows me the carbonate molecule and the barium ion, which is what it dissociates into I guess. But not in water since it's an insoluble salt, well maybe just a tiny bit but whatever. But the solid form of barium carbonate must have some kind of structure other than the carbonate and barium ions. I guess barium forms a four-sided ring with the two oxygens, or what?
    help help...
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?