Barometer Problem: Reading When Freely Falling

• Thread starter turhan nasri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Barometer
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a barometer freely falling from a building, with the questioner asking what the reading on the tube would be. The responder clarifies that without knowing the type of barometer, the question cannot be answered. The questioner then reveals that it is a mercury barometer and asks for help in solving the problem, with the responder reminding them to show their attempts in order to receive help. The questioner explains that they are a medical student and not asking for homework help, but rather came across the question on an Indian astro olympiad page.
turhan nasri
if a barometer is freely falling from a building , then what will be the reading shown on its tube?

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of a barometer?

I guess tube suggests mercury barometer, but without this information question can't be answered.

Which already is a hint.

i got this in my olympiad problem.. this is the entire thread

"a regular barometer is thrown from the top of a building..if the barometer is freely falling, what will be the height of the mercury column?"

How does the mercury barometer work?

Please note: you have to show your attempts at solving the question to receive help. This is a forum policy, described in forum rules.

Now that it is clear it is a homework type question, I am moving it to appropriate forum.

actually i am a medical student from bangladesh & i have no homeworks of physics...i got this question from indian astro olympiad page while roaming & so posted the thread...

1. What is the barometer problem and why is it important?

The barometer problem refers to the challenge of accurately reading a barometer while it is freely falling. It is important because it allows us to understand the effects of gravity and air resistance on objects in free fall, and can also be used to demonstrate the principles of atmospheric pressure and how it differs at different altitudes.

2. How does a barometer work?

A barometer works by measuring the atmospheric pressure. It consists of a long glass tube filled with mercury, with one end closed and the other end open. As the atmospheric pressure changes, it causes the mercury level to rise or fall in the closed end of the tube, which can then be measured and converted into a numerical value.

3. How does the barometer reading change when it is freely falling?

When the barometer is freely falling, the air resistance will cause the mercury to move upwards in the tube, resulting in a higher reading than when it is stationary. This is because the air resistance counteracts the force of gravity, causing the mercury to move faster than it would in a vacuum.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the barometer reading during free fall?

Aside from air resistance, other factors that can affect the accuracy of the barometer reading during free fall include the initial position and velocity of the barometer, the density of the atmosphere, and external forces such as wind. These factors can cause variations in the reading and make it difficult to obtain an accurate measurement.

5. How can the barometer problem be used in scientific experiments?

The barometer problem can be used in experiments to demonstrate the effects of gravity and air resistance on objects in free fall. It can also be used to measure the atmospheric pressure at different altitudes and compare it to the expected values, or to calculate the terminal velocity of a falling object. Additionally, it can be used to test the accuracy and precision of different barometer designs and techniques for measuring atmospheric pressure.