Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Barrel cam design, Torsion, Rotational Speed, Displacement

1. Sep 11, 2013 #1
    Hello

I'm a student and I have project making a harvesting tool which need barrel cam

I need force to cut trunk of coconut tree (I don't know it in english, what I mean is the hard part of coconut leaf)

I'm a bit confuse here

from Robert L Norton book Cam Design and Manufacturing (which I only read a bit from web because I don't have one) it always explain about displacement, velocity and acceleration of follower. And I try to use Dynacam 10.0, it gives me very big number, like the velocity is 2million mm/s

I have made the prototype of the tool and barrel cam, it has diameter 21.5 mm, and 5 mm displacement, I don't know working speed but I'll assume 7000 RPM, and it did cut the leaf

My question is which force that I will use to cut the leaf, follower mass and its acceleration which is F=m.a

or force from the shaft which I get from shaft's torsion?

second question is how to design diameter of barrel cam or any other reference is very helping me

I have
    -Torsion of shaft
    -RPM of shaft
    -Follower Displacement (I'm using 5 mm now, but it can be changed)
    -Follower movement is translating

Thank you so much

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted