Barrier in an infinite well

In summary, the conversation discusses plotting probability distributions from given potentials and analyzing the results. The question is raised about why the green curve has higher probability on the left side of the barrier and if the results are accurate. The response clarifies that the energy eigenfunctions should be symmetric or antisymmetric about the center in the case of infinite barriers on both sides. The speaker also acknowledges their mistake.
Black Integra
Hello people, I'm trying to plot probability distributions from the given potential numerically.
These are the results (particle coming from the right)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s720x720/546478_516459578368236_1799346634_n.jpg

What I want to know is why does the green curves (n=1) have higher probability at the left of the barrier? Why not the right(as the other curves)?

Or if my results are completely wrong?

Can anybody analyze my results, please...

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "particle coming from the right"? If you have infinite barriers on both the left and the right, then you are presumably calculating the energy eigenfunctions, and these should be either symmetric or antisymmetric about the center.

sorry for the question, I have found my fault.

What is a barrier in an infinite well?

A barrier in an infinite well refers to a potential energy barrier that is present within an infinite potential well. It is a common concept in quantum mechanics and describes the behavior of particles confined within an infinite square well potential.

How does a barrier in an infinite well affect particle behavior?

A barrier in an infinite well can affect the behavior of particles by restricting their movement within the well. When a particle encounters a potential barrier within the well, it can either be transmitted through the barrier or reflected back depending on its energy level and the height of the barrier.

What is the significance of a barrier in an infinite well?

The presence of a barrier in an infinite well can have significant implications in quantum mechanics. It allows for the study of particle behavior in confined systems and can also be used to model various physical phenomena, such as tunneling and quantum confinement.

What factors determine the transmission and reflection of particles at a barrier in an infinite well?

The transmission and reflection of particles at a barrier in an infinite well depend on the energy level of the particle and the height and width of the barrier. Higher energy particles are more likely to be transmitted through the barrier, while lower energy particles are more likely to be reflected back.

How does the shape and size of a barrier in an infinite well affect particle behavior?

The shape and size of a barrier in an infinite well can have a significant impact on particle behavior. A wider and higher barrier will result in a lower transmission probability and a higher reflection probability, while a narrower and lower barrier will have the opposite effect.