Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Baryon effective Lagrangian

1. Sep 28, 2015 #1
    I'm trying to understand how to construct effective lagrangians for the hadrons. I understand the procedure for the mesons but I get stuck on baryons. In particular I don't understand how the baryons should transform under a chiral transformation. I mean for the mesons it was easy because they could be interpreted as the Goldston bosons of the theory, but for baryons?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2015 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you working from a specific reference? In the linear sigma model, for example, the nucleon is introduced as a Dirac spinor. The chiral symmetry is manifest as ##SU(2)_L\times SU(2)_R##, where the factors act independently on the chiral components of the spinor.

4. Sep 29, 2015 #3
    I'd like to understand how the octet of baryons ##B## transforms under ##SU(3)_L\times SU(3)_R##. The only thing I know is that it must transforms as the eight dimensional representation of the unbroken symmetry ##SU(3)_V## but I don't get why it should transform like
    $$
    B\to h(\phi,g)Bh^{\dagger}(\phi,g)
    $$
    where ##\phi## are Goldstone bosons fields, ##g## is a ##SU(3)_L\times SU(3)_R## transformation and ##h## is a ##SU(3)_V## transformation as claimed for example in Pich, A. & de Rafael, E., 1991. Strong CP violation in an effective chiral Lagrangian approach. Nucl. Phys., B367(2), pp.313–333.

5. Sep 29, 2015 #4

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am not that familiar with specific nonlinear realizations, but there is a draft version of Georgi's book available at www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~hgeorgi/weak.pdf. This representation is discussed in Ch. 6, but you will need to refer to the discussion of mesons in Ch. 5 to figure out the notation.

6. Sep 29, 2015 #5
    Yes I've already read this but I still have some doubts, I will give him another chance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook