1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Baryon may have a charge

1. Dec 14, 2004 #1
    A baryon may have a charge of:

a) -1/3 e
    b) 0 e
    c) 2/3 e
    d) 4/3 e

I have no idea what a baryon is... and I've spent over 20 minutes online trying to answer this simple question.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2004 #2
  4. Dec 14, 2004 #3
    Ok... I read that but I still don't get it.
  5. Dec 14, 2004 #4
    My guess would be choice b) 0 e.

Am I correct?
  6. Dec 14, 2004 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

<looks at cyby and asks> "Are you stalking me?" :)

Read under "Baryon", and look at the two EXAMPLES of baryons that were given. Anything more, I might as well do this problem for you and you would have learned nothing.

P.S. Did you miss the "Homework Zone" section when looking for a place to post this?
  7. Dec 14, 2004 #6
    I did read... they're protons and neutrons. So, that's why I asked "Is it 0 e?" for a neutron.
  8. Dec 14, 2004 #7
    And this isn't homework... it's in a review packet for my final exam, but the packet is all the things he didn't teach us that we might need to know.
  9. Dec 14, 2004 #8
    Well, what are the charges of the baryons listed? Since you know that two examples of them are neutrons and protons, you can easily deduce their charge quantities....
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?