Converting 4312 from Base 10 to Base 6: A Homework Solution

In summary, the number 4312 in base ten is (4*10^3) + (3*10^2) + (1*10^1) + (2*10^0). When converted to base six, it becomes (4*6^3) + (3*6^2) + (1*6^1) + (2*6^0) which is equal to 980. Therefore, 4312 in base six is equal to 980 in base 10. 124 in base five represents an odd number since 124 = 1+2+4 = 7, which is odd. In other words, if you add the digits of a number in base five and
um0123

Homework Statement

The number 4312 in base ten is (4*10^3) + (3*10^2) + (1*10^1) + (2*10^0)

4312 in base six is (4*6^3) + (3*6^2) + (1*6^1) + (2*6^0) which is 980

therefore 4312 in base six is equal to 980 in base 10

QUESTIONS:

a) does 124 in base 5 represent an odd number?

b) how can you tell if a number is odd in base 10 by looking t its base 5 representation

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

i figured out that 124 in base five is 39 in base 10 and that means the answer to question a) is yes.

But i have no idea how to answer question b).

Physics news on Phys.org
i have a guess.

If you add the digits together and it is an odd number, then that number in base five is odd when turned into base ten.

for instance, 124 = 1+2+4 = 7, which is odd, so when you make 124 base 5 into base 10 it must be odd.

please tell me if that is incorrect.

um0123 said:
i have a guess.

If you add the digits together and it is an odd number, then that number in base five is odd when turned into base ten.

for instance, 124 = 1+2+4 = 7, which is odd, so when you make 124 base 5 into base 10 it must be odd.

please tell me if that is incorrect.

Yes. You are correct.

1. How do you convert a number from Base 10 to Base 6?

Converting a number from Base 10 to Base 6 involves dividing the number by 6 and writing down the remainder. This remainder will be the rightmost digit of the new number. Then, continue dividing the quotient by 6 until the quotient is 0. The remaining remainders, read in reverse order, will form the new number in Base 6.

2. What is the significance of converting numbers to different bases?

Converting numbers to different bases can be useful in computer science, cryptography, and other mathematical applications. It allows for more efficient and compact representation of numbers, and can also reveal patterns and relationships between numbers.

3. How do you convert a number with a decimal point from Base 10 to Base 6?

For numbers with a decimal point, the process is similar to converting whole numbers. First, divide the integer part of the number by 6 and write down the remainders in reverse order. Then, multiply the decimal part by 6 and repeat the process of dividing and writing down the remainders until the decimal part becomes 0 or a repeating pattern is formed.

4. Can you convert a negative number from Base 10 to Base 6?

Yes, negative numbers can also be converted from Base 10 to Base 6. The process is the same as converting positive numbers, but the final result will have a negative sign in front. It is important to keep track of the negative sign throughout the conversion process.

5. What is the difference between Base 10 and Base 6?

Base 10, also known as the decimal system, uses 10 digits (0-9) to represent numbers. It is the most commonly used system in everyday life. On the other hand, Base 6, also known as the senary system, uses 6 digits (0-5) to represent numbers. It is less commonly used but can be useful in certain mathematical applications.