Base Excitation Problem: Testing Fixture Vibration Levels in Ansys

In summary, to simulate vibration testing in Ansys, you will need to create a model, define boundary conditions, and run simulations to measure g-level at different points to determine the adequacy of testing.
sanimisra
Hello all,
This is my 1st post on this forum.
I am struggling with one problem.
I have done actual testing of a fixture on vibration table.
where I have checked g level at various points of fixture with the help of accelerometers.
I had vibration table excited from 0 - 80 Hz, sine wave, 1g acceleration.
I did this testing in X and Z direction.
I now want to simulate this testing in Ansys.
How should I do that?
Also, my aim from this project is to prove that Fixture do not alter the g level given from table (Base) and hence component on fixture is not under/over tested.
Plz help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
To simulate the vibration testing using Ansys, you will need to create a model of the fixture and the components that are being tested on it. You will then need to define the boundary conditions of the model, including the frequency range, acceleration, and direction of the vibration. Once the model is set up, you can run simulations to measure the g-level at different points within the model. This should allow you to determine whether the components are being adequately or inadequately tested.

1. What is a base excitation problem?

A base excitation problem is a type of structural analysis in which a structure is subjected to a dynamic load, or excitation, at its base. This type of problem is commonly encountered in engineering and physics, and involves determining the response of a structure to the applied load.

2. What causes base excitation in a structure?

Base excitation can be caused by a variety of factors, including external forces such as wind or seismic activity, or internal forces such as machinery or human activity. These forces can cause the base of a structure to vibrate, resulting in dynamic loading on the structure.

3. How is a base excitation problem solved?

A base excitation problem is typically solved using mathematical models and numerical methods. The structure is modeled as a system of equations, and the excitation is represented as a time-dependent input. The equations are then solved to determine the response of the structure to the excitation.

4. What are the applications of base excitation analysis?

Base excitation analysis is used in a variety of fields, including structural engineering, mechanical engineering, and earthquake engineering. It is used to design and analyze structures that are subjected to dynamic loading, such as buildings, bridges, and machinery.

5. What are some challenges in solving base excitation problems?

One of the main challenges in solving base excitation problems is accurately modeling the complex behavior of the structure and the excitation. This requires advanced mathematical and numerical techniques, as well as a thorough understanding of the physical properties of the structure and the applied load. Additionally, uncertainties in the input parameters can also pose a challenge in accurately predicting the response of the structure.