1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Base plus base?

1. Aug 17, 2005 #1
    Say i were to mix a basewith a pH of say 8, with a pH 14. what would my final pH be? 11?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2005 #2
    it depends upon the concentrations of each, and the pK of the bases - but it is safe to say that your pH will be somewhere between 8-14.

the exact pH will follow the Henderson-Hasselbach eq.

4. Aug 17, 2005 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...and of course, the volume of each base matters.

5. Aug 17, 2005 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It would *have* to follow a non-linear mixing formula, since the pH number is logarythmic. pH9 is 10x more alkaline than pH8; pH10 is 10x more alkaline than pH9.

6. Aug 17, 2005 #5

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

a base with a pH of 8 is very weak, do you think that the weak base will hydrolyze more or less when there already exists a significant concentration of hydroxide (consider this problem in terms of rates). I'll explain the specifics later.

7. Aug 22, 2005 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Not necessarilly. It can be strong, but diluted.

8. Aug 23, 2005 #7

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

in the relative sense, as mentioned in the original post, yes it would be very weak...compared to one which would register a pH of 14.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?