Mixing pHs: What's the Result?

• Thread starter Serene_Chaos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mixing
In summary, the final pH of mixing a base with a pH of 8 and a base with a pH of 14 would be somewhere between 8 and 14, depending on the concentrations and pK values. The exact pH would follow the Henderson-Hasselbach equation and the volume of each base would also be a factor. The final pH would be non-linear due to the logarithmic nature of pH values. The original post also mentions the potential for hydrolysis of the weak base in the presence of a significant concentration of hydroxide. However, this depends on the specific rates and will be explained later.
Serene_Chaos
Say i were to mix a basewith a pH of say 8, with a pH 14. what would my final pH be? 11?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Serene_Chaos said:
Say i were to mix a basewith a pH of say 8, with a pH 14. what would my final pH be? 11?

it depends upon the concentrations of each, and the pK of the bases - but it is safe to say that your pH will be somewhere between 8-14.

the exact pH will follow the Henderson-Hasselbach eq.

...and of course, the volume of each base matters.

It would *have* to follow a non-linear mixing formula, since the pH number is logarythmic. pH9 is 10x more alkaline than pH8; pH10 is 10x more alkaline than pH9.

a base with a pH of 8 is very weak, do you think that the weak base will hydrolyze more or less when there already exists a significant concentration of hydroxide (consider this problem in terms of rates). I'll explain the specifics later.

GCT said:
a base with a pH of 8 is very weak

Not necessarilly. It can be strong, but diluted.

in the relative sense, as mentioned in the original post, yes it would be very weak...compared to one which would register a pH of 14.

1. What is pH and why is it important?

pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It is important because it affects the chemical reactions and processes that occur within the solution. pH can also impact the properties of substances dissolved in the solution, such as their solubility and reactivity.

2. How do you measure pH?

pH can be measured using a pH meter or through the use of indicators, which change color depending on the pH of the solution. The most commonly used scale for measuring pH ranges from 0 to 14, with 7 being neutral, values below 7 being acidic, and values above 7 being basic.

3. What happens when you mix solutions with different pHs?

When solutions with different pHs are mixed, the resulting pH will depend on the relative amounts of each solution. If the solutions have similar pHs, the resulting pH will be close to the initial pH. If the solutions have very different pHs, the resulting pH will be somewhere in between the two initial pHs.

4. Can you predict the pH of a mixture?

In most cases, the resulting pH of a mixture can be predicted using the principles of acid-base chemistry. However, this may not always be accurate due to factors such as the presence of buffers or reactions between the solutions that can affect the pH.

5. How does temperature affect the pH of a mixture?

The pH of a mixture can be affected by changes in temperature, particularly for reactions that involve heat release or absorption. This is because temperature can affect the rate and extent of chemical reactions, which in turn can impact the concentrations of acidic or basic substances in the solution and thus the resulting pH.