1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Base representation ~

1. Jan 28, 2010 #1
    base representation plz help~

It is known that if asks+as-1ks-1+...+a0 is a representation of n to the base k, then 0<n<=ks+1-1.

Now suppose n=asks+as-1ks-1+...+a0 and m=btkt+bt-1kt-1+...+b0 with as,bt not equal to 0, are two different representations of n and m to base k, respectively. Without loss of generality we may assume t>=s. Without using Theorem 1-3(existance and uniqueness of such representation of an integer), prove directly that m not equal to n.

Many many thanks~~~

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2010 #2
    Re: base representation plz help~

We consider the difference :
    [tex]D = m-n = c_tk^t + c_{t-1}k^{t-1} + ... + c_0[/tex]
    Where [tex]c_i = b_i - a_i[/tex] ( [tex]i[/tex] from [tex]1[/tex] to [tex]t[/tex], and [tex]a_i = 0[/tex] if [tex] i > s[/tex])

Due to the fact that [tex]a_sa_{s-1}...a_1[/tex] and [tex]b_tb_{t-1}...b_1[/tex] are two different representations, [tex]c_i[/tex] must not equal to 0 for every i, otherwise [tex]a_i = b_i[/tex] for all [tex]i[/tex].

Choose [tex]j[/tex] is the largest number such that [tex]c_j[/tex] is different from
    If [tex]c_j > 0[/tex],then:
    [tex]D >= k^j -(k-1)(k^{j-1} + ... 1) = k^j -(k^j-1) = 1 >0[/tex]
    If [tex]c_j < 0[/tex], similarly [tex]-D > 0[/tex]

We always have [tex]D[/tex] different from 0

Good luck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook