Baseball acceleration physics

In summary: For the first question, does t=0 matter? For the second question, what does it mean by "it asks you the instantaneous velocity which is at exactly the first second, and exactly the third second."?
MIA6
1. A baseball is thrown vertically into the air with a speed of 24.0m/s. How long does it take to return to the ground?
I found out the height that it could reach was 29m, then I used the formula d=vit+at^2/2. ---> 29=24t+9.81t^2/2. But I got two answers. THey are both positive. Why? Is anything wrong?
2. A car traveling 90km/h decelerates at a constant 1.6m/s^2. Find out the distance it travels during the first and third seconds. Here it means the distance when the time interval is from the first to the third second, which is 2 seconds? OR it asks you the instantaneous velocity which is at exactly the first second, and exactly the third second.
btw, what do symbols like 'd0', 'a0' mean? they mean the distance and accelerations are 0? My teacher wrote these symbols. Maybe it's not formal.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1, The accelaration is negative, it acts in the opposite direction to the velocity ( otherwise it would keep going up for ever).

2, It is asking the distance traveled from t=0 to t=1 second and from t=2 to t=3 seconds.

mgb_phys said:
1, The accelaration is negative, it acts in the opposite direction to the velocity ( otherwise it would keep going up for ever).

For the first one,how come I got two answers for time?
For the second one, the distance it travels the first second is 25m. For the third second, I got 25-2*1.6=21.8 Is that right?

Last edited:
MIA6 said:
For the first one,how come I got two answers for time?
For the second one, the distance it travels the first second is 25m. For the third second, I got 25-2*1.6=21.8 Is that right?

Why are you calculating the time to reach 29m? You need the time to return to the ground, ie 0m

Can anyone give me a hint in how to do the second question?
btw, Is t up=t down in the first question?

Last edited:
MIA6 said:
2. A car traveling 90km/h decelerates at a constant 1.6m/s^2. Find out the distance it travels during the first and third seconds. Here it means the distance when the time interval is from the first to the third second, which is 2 seconds? OR it asks you the instantaneous velocity which is at exactly the first second, and exactly the third second.
Plot a graph of speed against time from 90km/h to 0.

Now work out the area under the graph between t=0 and t=1. That is the distance it moved. Now do the same for between t=2 to t=3

what do symbols like 'd0', 'a0' mean? they mean the distance and accelerations are 0?
Ussually they would mean the displacement and accelaration at time or position 0.

1. What is the physics behind a baseball's acceleration?

The acceleration of a baseball can be attributed to the forces acting on it, specifically the force of gravity and the force of air resistance. When a baseball is thrown, the force of gravity causes it to accelerate towards the ground. At the same time, air resistance acts against the ball, slowing it down. The combination of these two forces results in the acceleration of the baseball.

2. How does air resistance affect a baseball's acceleration?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is the force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. As a baseball travels through the air, it experiences air resistance which acts in the opposite direction of its motion. This force increases as the speed of the baseball increases, causing a decrease in its acceleration.

3. How does the mass of a baseball impact its acceleration?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a baseball with a larger mass will experience a smaller acceleration compared to a baseball with a smaller mass when subjected to the same amount of force.

4. What role does the angle of release play in a baseball's acceleration?

The angle of release, or the angle at which a pitcher throws a baseball, can significantly affect its acceleration. When a baseball is thrown at a higher angle, it experiences a greater vertical acceleration due to the force of gravity. On the other hand, a lower angle of release results in a greater horizontal acceleration.

5. How does the type of pitch affect the acceleration of a baseball?

The type of pitch, such as a fastball, curveball, or slider, can impact the acceleration of a baseball. Different pitches have varying levels of air resistance and spin, which can affect the trajectory and speed of the ball, ultimately influencing its acceleration. Additionally, the grip and release of the ball by the pitcher can also impact its acceleration.