• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Baseball- force/impulse

• Thread starter JerG90
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Baseball -force and impulse- question

A pitcher throws a baseball to a catcher in a straight line, like any ordinary pitch. Assuming that the ball arrives to the catcher at the same speed as the pitch is thrown, which player ends up attaining a larger force, the pitcher or the catcher? And, which player ends up having the larger impulse on the ball?

Homework Equations

Though there are no specific numbers used, the problem includes collision and momentum.

Perhaps F*t=P2-P1 could be used for demonstration

The Attempt at a Solution

I am sort of just confused by the problem. It seems easy, but maybe I am not understanding the principles of impulse. I believe that the catcher would acquire a greater force because the baseball would be accelerating negatively very quickly. But does this mean that the catcher also has a greater impulse?

Answers and Replies

PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Baseball -force and impulse- question

A pitcher throws a baseball to a catcher in a straight line, like any ordinary pitch. Assuming that the ball arrives to the catcher at the same speed as the pitch is thrown, which player ends up attaining a larger force, the pitcher or the catcher? And, which player ends up having the larger impulse on the ball?

Homework Equations

Though there are no specific numbers used, the problem includes collision and momentum.

Perhaps F*t=P2-P1 could be used for demonstration

The Attempt at a Solution

I am sort of just confused by the problem. It seems easy, but maybe I am not understanding the principles of impulse. I believe that the catcher would acquire a greater force because the baseball would be accelerating negatively very quickly. But does this mean that the catcher also has a greater impulse?
You've got the right equation. So what is the momentum change of the baseball during the time period it is in the pitcher's hand, from rest to the moment it leave's his hand? And what is the momentum change during the time period it is in the catcher's glove, until it stops? Which time period is greater? Compare force and impulse for each case.