Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Baseball on the Moon

1. Apr 7, 2003 #1
    How would you modify the game of baseball in order to play it indoors on the moon? (The game would be played in a structure that would stimulate “earth like” air conditions) Nothing else regarding the moon’s environment would change. Concentrate on what would affect the game, such as the gravity and the appropriate modifications that would need to be made. Any help I can get would be very helpful, Thanks. (Simple people Talk Thank You)[?]

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2003 #2
    The moon's gravity is 1/6th of the Earth. You will need to compensate for it so that's a good start.

4. Apr 8, 2003 #3
    I can't really think of a way to alter the problem of 1/6th gravity. Even if you have air you will still have the problem that you can hit it much further. Perhaps you could put it in a bigger stadium with people spaced further apart. In fact it would need to be roughly 6 times the linear size of the stadium :( A pretty big stdium I think. You would probably need radio headsets for the players to communicate. :) Of course this assumes you hit it with the same speed. I'm not sure how the dynamics of a humans motion when hitting a baseball would be altered in low-g. I'm fairly certain though that it would alter. So this would have to be taken into account. Oh well ..... perhaps lunar baseball is not such a good idea.

5. Apr 8, 2003 #4
    Just make a ball which is 6 times heavier than the normal one...

6. Apr 8, 2003 #5
    You could lower the mass of the batt, increase the mass of the ball, so that the transfer of momentum would grant a range of only the size of a baseball stadium. The acceleration of the ball remains constant regardless of its mass (given the mass is less than the mass of the moon) but your running time around the bases will be compromised as well.

7. Apr 9, 2003 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?