1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Baseball physics question

1. Dec 20, 2014 #1
    Okay so I'm not sure if this post should go here but I would like some help figuring out a baseball related question. I have a 33" bat that is 30oz that I average 84mph swing speed at contact with the baseball. I tried swinging a 34" bat that is 31oz that I average 81mph swing speed at contact. Is there any way to determine which bat I should use to maximize ball exit speed off the bat?

Is the 1oz bat difference make up for the loss of 3mph swing speed at contact?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You can look at which bat gives you more momentum to transfer to the ball.

4. Dec 20, 2014 #3
    I've read that moment of inertia is an important factor in the swing speed I'm able to generate with a certain bat. Easton even has an MOI rating for their new line of bats. How would I figure out what gives me more momentum?

5. Dec 20, 2014 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

This may not be a question, so I'll comment: you do see which of the two bats is which, and which you're swinging faster?

6. Dec 20, 2014 #5
    Not sure I understand your question. I took 100 swings with each with a sensor attached to the bottom of the bats and got an average swing speed for both bats, if that's what you are asking.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook