1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Baseball pitcher

1. Sep 24, 2006 #1
    Alright, I am really stumped. Was wondering if somebody could point me in the right direction, because I am lost.

"The fastest recorded pitch in Major League Baseball, thrown by Nolan Ryan in 1974, was clocked at 100.8mph (45.06163m/s). If a pitch were thrown horizontally with this velocity, how far would the ball fall vertically by the time it reached home plate, 18.3m away?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2006 #2
    This is a projectile motion problem. The baseball has two components to its velocity as it flies through the air: a horizontal component that stays the same (since there are no forces that act horizontally) and a vertical component that changes (because of the force of gravity). You are given the horizontal velocity (45.06 m/s) and the horizontal distance (18.3 m). From this, compute the time. Then, compute how far the baseball fell vertically in that same time.

Related animation: http://www.physicsclassroom.com/mmedia/vectors/hlp.html

4. Sep 24, 2006 #3
    100.8 mph is the fastest pitch you say? That's complete shuttlecock! Just the other day, I saw a Yankee closer throw a high heater at 103mph.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?