Baseball Player hits Ball

In summary, the ball reaches its maximum height at 1.2 seconds after being thrown and is traveling at 12 meters per second.
Veronica_Oles

Homework Statement

A baseball player throws a ball straight up and then catches ot 2.4 s later at the same heiggt from which he threw it. Determine the initial velocity and maximum height of ball?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Im confused about how to find inital velocity. I know its 2.4 s and the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8m/s^2 [d] however I feel like I am missing information. Is Final velocity 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the ball went up and came down in 2.4 seconds, when is the ball at its highest point? Also how fast is the ball going at the top of the arc as it reverses direction?

I believe you have all the information you need.

However, when thinking about the problem, try to think about a few key things:
1) How is the velocity of the ball related to the initial velocity and the acceleration due to gravity? (Do you have an equation for this?)
2) What's the velocity of the ball at the instant it achieves its maximum height?
3) Does it take more or less time for the ball to reach its max height, compared to the time it takes to fall back to the same height from which it was originally thrown?

What Relevant Equations do you know from your course materials? Which equations pertain to projectile motion?

Charles Link said:
If the ball went up and came down in 2.4 seconds, when is the ball at its highest point? Also how fast is the ball going at the top of the arc as it reverses direction?
Vi = Vf - (at)
Vi = 0 - (-9.8)(1.2)
Vi = 11.76m/s[up]
Vi = 12m/s[up]

Is this the correct way to do it?

Veronica_Oles said:
Vi = Vf - (at)
Vi = 0 - (-9.8)(1.2)
Vi = 11.76m/s[up]
Vi = 12m/s[up]

Yes, or equivalently:
h = 0 = V0 * t - 1/2 * g t^2 which gives you the same result, where t here is the time to return to its original position.

Likes Veronica_Oles
Veronica_Oles said:
Vi = Vf - (at)
Vi = 0 - (-9.8)(1.2)
Vi = 11.76m/s[up]
Vi = 12m/s[up]

J Hann said:
Yes, or equivalently:
h = 0 = V0 * t - 1/2 * g t^2 which gives you the same result, where t here is the time to return to its original position.
@Veronica_Oles There are two ways to get the maximum height from this equation ## h=v_0 t-(1/2)g t^2 ##. The simplest way is to plug in for ## v_0 ## and let t=1.2. (since you know the ball is at the top with velocity v=0 at ## t=1.2 ##.) The more complicated way is to see that the graph of ## h ## vs. ## t ## is a parabola and has a maximum value since the coefficient of the ## t^2 ## term is negative. It is a good algebraic exercise to write the parabola in the form ## h=A(t-t_0)^2+h_1 ## by completing the square. ## t=t_0=1.2 ## is the axis of symmetry and ## h_1 ## turns out to be the maximum height. I would suggest simply writing ## v_i ## as ## v_i=(1.2)(9.8) ## if you work the extra algebra though, or you are going to see round-off errors and your axis of symmetry won't be exactly ## t=1.2 ##.

1. How does a baseball player hit the ball?

A baseball player hits the ball by swinging a bat at the ball, making contact with it and sending it into play. The player must use proper technique and timing to hit the ball effectively.

2. What factors affect a baseball player's ability to hit the ball?

Several factors can affect a baseball player's ability to hit the ball, including the player's strength, hand-eye coordination, swing mechanics, and physical conditioning. Other factors such as the type of pitch being thrown, the speed of the pitch, and the location of the pitch can also impact a player's ability to hit the ball.

3. How fast does a baseball player hit the ball?

The speed at which a baseball player hits the ball can vary greatly depending on the player's strength and technique. On average, professional baseball players hit the ball between 70-90 miles per hour, but some players have been recorded hitting the ball at speeds over 100 miles per hour.

4. What is the ideal angle for a baseball player to hit the ball?

The ideal angle for a baseball player to hit the ball is between 10-30 degrees, which maximizes the distance the ball will travel. However, the specific angle can vary depending on factors such as the type of pitch being thrown and the location of the pitch.

5. How do baseball players train to improve their hitting ability?

Baseball players train to improve their hitting ability by practicing their swing mechanics, working on hand-eye coordination, and building strength and power through weight training and other exercises. They also study opposing pitchers and work on their timing and pitch recognition to improve their ability to hit different types of pitches.