Calculating Projectile Motion in a Baseball Home Run

In summary, the ball hit at an angle of 35 degrees and reaches a height of 1.0 m above the ground in 0.9 seconds. The ball has a horizontal velocity of 9.8 m/s and a vertical velocity of 10.2 m/s.
jonwasnothere

Homework Statement

A ball player hits a home run, and the baseball just clears a wall 21.0 m high located 130.0 m from home plate. The ball is hit at an angle of 35 degrees to the horizontal, and air resistance is negligible. Assume the ball is hit at a height of 1.0 m above the ground.

a. What is the initial speed of the ball?
b. How much time does it take for the ball to reach the wall?
c. Find the velocity components and the speed of the ball when it reaches the wall.

I don't know how to use any trig in this case since there isn't a velocity given.

Physics news on Phys.org
jonwasnothere said:

Homework Statement

A ball player hits a home run, and the baseball just clears a wall 21.0 m high located 130.0 m from home plate. The ball is hit at an angle of 35 degrees to the horizontal, and air resistance is negligible. Assume the ball is hit at a height of 1.0 m above the ground.

a. What is the initial speed of the ball?
b. How much time does it take for the ball to reach the wall?
c. Find the velocity components and the speed of the ball when it reaches the wall.

I don't know how to use any trig in this case since there isn't a velocity given.
Hello jonwasnothere. Welcome to PF !

What have you tried? Where are you stuck.

According to the rules of this Forum, you need to show some effort before we can help you.

Hint:
Use some variable, such as v0, for the magnitude of the initial velocity.

If it takes the ball t seconds to reach the wall, what equations describe the following during those t seconds?
The x component of the ball's velocity.

The y component of the ball's velocity.

The x coordinate of the ball.

The y coordinate of the ball.​

I don't really know what I'm doing, though. All I know is that:

A: 35 degrees
Delta x: 130m
a: 9.8 m/s^2
Delta y: 20m

I don't know where to go from there, or anything. I drew out a diagram, but with no velocity I don't know how to apply trig in the situation so I'm thinking you can't. I was thinking you solve for Vo using Delta y=Vot+1/2at^2 but I don't know t either.

As you see from here, when the ball is hit at the angle of 35°, it does not only go forwards but also upwards

Thus you have to find the horizontal and vertical velocity or assign a value/variable and apply to standard formula for displacement.

[itex]S=S_o+V_ot+\frac{1}{2}at^2 [/itex]

Note for horizontal displacement the acceleration a=0.

Try to figure out the vertical velocity before the horizontal velocity. If you can figure out the time it takes for the ball reach a height of 21m (at said vertical velocity) you can figure out the horizontal velocity.

Make sure you draw a diagram which includes all your information, this will help you realize what equations to use and when.

What is baseball projectile motion?

Baseball projectile motion refers to the path or trajectory that a baseball follows when it is hit or thrown. It is a combination of both linear and rotational motion.

What factors affect the trajectory of a baseball?

The trajectory of a baseball is affected by factors such as the initial velocity, air resistance, spin, and gravity. These factors can change the direction and speed of the baseball as it travels through the air.

How does air resistance affect the motion of a baseball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, slows down the motion of a baseball. As the ball travels through the air, it collides with air molecules, causing a force that acts in the opposite direction of its motion. This force can change the trajectory and speed of the baseball.

What is the Magnus effect and how does it impact baseball projectile motion?

The Magnus effect is a phenomenon where a spinning object experiences a lift force perpendicular to its direction of motion. In baseball, this is caused by the spin of the ball, which can create a curve or break in its path. This can be seen in pitches such as a curveball or slider.

How is the trajectory of a baseball calculated?

The trajectory of a baseball can be calculated using principles of physics, including projectile motion equations. Factors such as initial velocity, air resistance, and spin are taken into account to determine the path of the ball. Advanced technologies such as high-speed cameras and motion sensors are also used to analyze and track the trajectory of a baseball.