How Does Air Pressure Affect Curveball Distance in Different Ballparks?

In summary, Alex is seeking help for a high school research paper on the effects of air pressure on a curveball in baseball. They are looking for a computer-based projectile simulator that can vary air pressure and measure the path of the projectile. They have found some resources online, such as the FoilSim III software and articles on the aerodynamics of baseball, to aid in their research. Alex is grateful for the assistance and will continue to search for more information.
Alex Noel Cueto
Hello everyone,

It's my first time posting, so I hope everyone is doing well. I am looking for some help for a high school research paper/lab I'm currently working on. Basically, I am investigating how the varying air pressures of different baseball parks have an effect on the distance traveled of a curve ball. As it is nearly impossible, nor worth the time, for me to actually vary air pressure in real life and get decently accurate data, I was looking to see if there are any computer based projectile simulators which I can use to mimic different ballpark environments. With that said, The simulator would have to have an ability to vary air pressure and measure the path the projectile moved while in the air. It would also need a way to set the rotation of the projectile so it could mimic the curve of a baseball. No worries if such a software doesn't exist; I'm ready to come up with plan B lol. Then again, any help would be awesome. apologies for the long message.

Thanks for all the help!

Alex

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm English so I'm not exactly familiar with baseball but have you tried googling for info. I found...

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/K-12/airplane/foil2b.html

"With this software you can investigate how a big league pitcher throws a curveball by changing the values of the factors that affect the aerodynamic forces on the ball. These are the same forces that generate the lift of an aircraft wing. You can study aircraft wings with the FoilSim III software available at this site."

Also..
http://itg1.meteor.wisc.edu/wxwise/AckermanKnox/chap6/fly_ball.html
and..
http://baseball.physics.illinois.edu/Denver.html

Likes Alex Noel Cueto and berkeman
Awesome! Thank you so much. I guess using projectiles as my search criteria on google was a little to broad for what I wanted. I'll do some more hunting, but with what you gave me it should work well.

thanks again,

Alex

What is the history of baseball?

The origins of baseball can be traced back to 18th century England, where a game called "rounders" was played. It wasn't until the mid-19th century that baseball as we know it today began to take shape in the United States. The first professional baseball league, the National Association, was formed in 1871. The modern rules of baseball were established in the late 19th century, and the sport has since become a beloved pastime in many countries around the world.

How has the game of baseball evolved over time?

Over the years, baseball has undergone many changes and modifications. These include changes in rules, equipment, and playing styles. The game has also expanded to include more teams and leagues, as well as international competitions. Technology has also played a role in the evolution of baseball, with the introduction of instant replay and advanced statistics.

What are some current hot topics in baseball research?

Some current areas of research in baseball include the impact of technology on the game, such as the use of analytics and data in player evaluations and strategic decisions. Other popular topics include the effects of performance-enhancing drugs, player development and injury prevention, and the role of race and ethnicity in the sport.

How do researchers use data and statistics in baseball research?

Data and statistics play a crucial role in baseball research. Researchers use various methods to collect and analyze data, such as scouting reports, player performance metrics, and historical records. These data are then used to identify patterns and trends, make predictions, and inform decision making.

What are some potential future developments in baseball research?

As technology continues to advance, it is likely that baseball research will also evolve. This may include the use of artificial intelligence and machine learning to analyze data and make predictions. Additionally, there may be a focus on player health and safety, as well as the impact of environmental factors on the game. Other potential areas of research include the use of virtual and augmented reality in player training and fan experiences.