Baseball/tennis ball launchers

• Thread starter guss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, baseball/tennis ball launchers use two spinning wheels to launch balls instead of one for several reasons. Firstly, using two wheels reduces spin and control, making it more realistic for practice. Additionally, having two wheels keeps the ball airborne and prevents it from bouncing off a stationary member. Furthermore, using two wheels creates a more realistic "sparring partner" for practicing, as one wheel would produce unrealistic spin and direction. Finally, other techniques for reducing spin on a one wheel machine include reducing friction or using a paddle wheel to slap the ball rather than roll it.
guss
Why do baseball/tennis ball launchers use two spinning wheels to launch balls, and not one?

You know, these things:
5399-BG_baseball_pitching_machine.gif

Couldn't they replace one of the wheels with a wall?

I suppose one reason is to eliminate spin, but are there any other reasons?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Spin reduction/control was my first thought, but there might be another stability issue. With only one wheel, the ball might feel obliged to bounce off of the stationary member (rail or chute or whatever). Two wheels keep it airborne.

It's spin.

The goal of a ball launcher is to have an artificial 'sparring partner'. Those wheels rotate so fast that they'd put a completely unrealistic spin on the ball. Even if it made it to the person trying to hit it, it would subsequently careen off in a random direction once it was hit. Not very good to practice against something that a real player could never produce.

Thanks, that makes sense. I actually just came across some pictures of machines using only one wheel.

I am not designing a pitching machine, but something like it. Are there other ways besides reducing friction or adding a non-powered wheel to reduce spin on a one wheel machine?

The only thing that immediately comes to mind is that you could make a paddle wheel so it slaps the ball rather than rolls it. I'll apply some thought to it, but that's the first thing that leapt out at me.

What is a baseball/tennis ball launcher?

A baseball/tennis ball launcher is a device that is used to launch baseballs or tennis balls with a high velocity and accuracy. It is commonly used for training purposes or for playing fetch with pets.

How does a baseball/tennis ball launcher work?

A baseball/tennis ball launcher typically works by using a spring-loaded mechanism or compressed air to propel the ball out of the launcher. Some launchers also use a spinning wheel to generate the force needed to launch the ball.

What are the benefits of using a baseball/tennis ball launcher?

Using a baseball/tennis ball launcher can improve your throwing distance and accuracy. It can also save your arm from repetitive strain while practicing or playing catch. Additionally, it can provide a fun and interactive way to exercise or play with your pet.

Are there any safety concerns when using a baseball/tennis ball launcher?

Yes, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines when using a baseball/tennis ball launcher. It is also recommended to wear eye protection and never aim the launcher at people or animals. Additionally, keep the launcher away from small children to avoid accidents.

Can a baseball/tennis ball launcher be used for other purposes?

Yes, some baseball/tennis ball launchers come with interchangeable attachments that allow them to be used for other types of balls, such as golf balls or foam balls. They can also be used as a training tool for other sports that involve throwing or hitting a ball.