Differential Geom.: Dual Space Bases for Beginners

In summary: Here's the definition I would use: If V is a vector space then the dual space is the set of all linear functionals from V to its underlying scalar field with addtion defined by (f+ g)(v)= f(v)+ g(v) and scalar multiplication by af(v)= f(av).
nklohit
I'm a beginner at differential geometry.
I have a problem about dual space. I understand why we use [tex]\left\{\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\mu}}\right\} [/tex] as the bases in vector space, but I have no idea why
we use [tex] \left\{ dx^{\mu} \right\} [/tex] as the bases of dual space. What is the reason
of using it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I may not understand you question but

[tex]
\left\{ dx^{\mu} \right\}
[/tex]

is the dual basis. This is easy to check.

Yea, if you work out the "d" operator applied to a coordinate function x^i, you see that the dx^i are identical to the covector basis a^i, where a^i are just the functions such that a^i(e_j) = delta_ij.

The vectors {v_1*,..,v_n*} are the vectors that satisfy the condition:

v_i*(v_i)=1

v_i*(v_j)=0

Given a basis {v_1,..,v_n} .

You can look at the del/delx_j as positions , by using the isomorphism between

vector fields/derivations/directional derivatives, and the direction of the

directional derivatives. Then, if you use the standard (directional) bases

(1,0,0,.)=e_j (e_j is a vector with 1 in the j-th coordinate and is 0 everywhere

else) , the dx_i's are linear maps that project onto the i-th coordinate,

so that dx_i(e_i)=1 , and dx_i(e_j)=0

Perhaps it would be helpful if you gave us your definition of dual space. With every definition I've ever seen, the answer to your question is "by definition".

Here's the definition I would use: If V is a vector space then the dual space is the set of all linear functionals from V to its underlying scalar field with addtion defined by (f+ g)(v)= f(v)+ g(v) and scalar multiplication by af(v)= f(av).

When we use [tex]\{\frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu}\}[/tex] as a basis for the vector space, we represent the dual space basis as [itex]dx^\nu[/itex] because the linear functional is really [tex]\int \frac{\partial }{\partial x^\mu} dx^\nu[/tex].

HallsofIvy said:
Here's the definition I would use: If V is a vector space then the dual space is the set of all linear functionals from V to its underlying scalar field with addtion defined by (f+ g)(v)= f(v)+ g(v) and scalar multiplication by af(v)= f(av).

When we use [tex]\{\frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu}\}[/tex] as a basis for the vector space, we represent the dual space basis as [itex]dx^\nu[/itex] because the linear functional is really [tex]\int \frac{\partial }{\partial x^\mu} dx^\nu[/tex].

The action of a dual f on a vector v is: [tex]f_i v^i [/tex] where the index i is summed over the dimension of the vector space.

So how would it go when you write it in functional form like you did. Would [tex]\int \frac{\partial }{\partial x^\mu} dx^\nu[/tex] be equal to
[tex]\int v^\mu\frac{\partial }{\partial x^\mu} [dx^\nu f_\nu][/tex]
or
[tex]\int [dx^\nu f_\nu] v^\mu\frac{\partial }{\partial x^\mu} [/tex]

Thanks to you all, I got it^^

HallsofIvy said:

I must say I've never seen this integral sign before. Can you elaborate on that a little more?

1. What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of curves and surfaces in a higher-dimensional space. It uses tools from calculus and linear algebra to analyze the geometric structures and relationships of these objects.

2. What is the dual space in differential geometry?

In differential geometry, the dual space is the set of all linear functionals on a vector space. It is often used to describe the tangent space at a particular point on a curved surface.

3. What is a basis in differential geometry?

A basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that span a vector space. In differential geometry, a dual space basis is a set of linear functionals that form a basis for the dual space of a given vector space.

4. How is the dual space basis used in differential geometry?

The dual space basis is used to define the dual space of a vector space, which is important in differential geometry for describing the tangent space at a particular point on a curved surface. It is also used in calculations involving tensors and differential forms.

5. Is knowledge of linear algebra necessary for understanding dual space bases in differential geometry?

Yes, a basic understanding of linear algebra is necessary for understanding dual space bases in differential geometry. It is important to understand concepts such as vector spaces, bases, and linear transformations in order to fully grasp the concepts of dual spaces and dual space bases.