1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic algebra/Power laws equation

1. Jul 4, 2010 #1
    ok so im working through a problem,got part way through and realised i couldnt remeber what to do with power rules,if someone could quickly remind me of the rules!

the question is differentiate

ƒ(x) = 1/x^3

Using

if ƒ(x) = x^n then ƒ'(x) = nx^n-1

and the book answer given is
    ƒ(x) = 1/x^3 = x^-3

so the derivative is ƒ'(x) = -3x^-4

now i can understand all but one part of this

the part which is how to get from

1/x³ to x^-³

or why

1/xⁿ becomes x-ⁿ

i remember is one of the basic power laws,just cannot remember how or why its so.
    could someone remind me please!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2010 #2
    Part a. x^n * 1/x^n = 1.
    To see this, notice that the left hand member is the same as
    x^n/x^n, and any nonzero number divided by itself is equal to one.
    Part b. x^n * x^-n = 1.
    To see this, use the rule of exponents that says "when multiplying like bases, add the exponents". So you will have x^(n + -n), which is equal to x^(n - n) = x^0 = 1.
    Now look at what changed from part a to part b. I replaced the "1/x^n" in part a with "x^-n" in part b, and the result was unchanged, so the two expressions are equal.

A more formal approach (using inverse operations, etc) will probably be posted if that's what you're looking for.

4. Jul 4, 2010 #3
    The notations are equivalent:

[tex]b^{-p}\equiv\frac{1}{b^p}[/tex]

The left hand side and the right hand side of this equation are two different ways of writing the same thing.

5. Jul 4, 2010 #4
    For the field of real numbers with addition and multiplication as usually defined:

[tex]b^{p+q}=b^pb^q[/tex]

[tex]b^{pq}=(b^p)^q[/tex]

[tex]b^{-1}=\frac{1}{b}=\frac{1}{b^1}[/tex]

[tex]b^{p+(-q)}=b^{p-q}=\frac{b^p}{b^q}=b^p(b^q)^{-1}=b^pb^{-q}[/tex]

[tex]b^{p/q}=\sqrt[q]{b^p}[/tex]

where -x means the inverse of x with respect to the operation of addition (the additive inverse of x), so that x-x means x+(-x) = 0, and 1/x = x-1 means the inverse of x with respect to the operation of multiplication (the multiplicative inverse of x), so that x/x = xx-1 = 1. These rules are general except that 0-1 (and hence any negative power of 0) is not defined.

If p and q are whole numbers, bp can be interpreted as multiply p b's together, and bp-q multiply p b's together with q instances of the multiplicative inverse of b, with the convention that b0 = 1. The rest of the real numbered powers "fill in the gaps" between rational powers (fractional powers). I don't yet know how that filling in of the gaps is formally defined, but I'm sure there are lots of people here who do!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook