Is 3x=15 Really That Hard to Solve?

In summary, a problem may ask for one or more steps to be done in a certain way, but the steps themselves are not always required to be justified.
DrClaude said:
I would have never thought that the question "How do you solve ##3x=15##?" would bring about so much discussion.

In addition to the discussion of multiplying by 1/3 versus dividing by 3, I would like to know if anyone else visualizes the operations as I do. I understand (I think :smile:) the formal mathematics of the transformation from ##3x = 15## to ##x = 15/3##, and I am careful, for example, when discussing it with my son to always talk about it in terms of applying the same operation to both sides of the equation, but this is not how I picture it when I do algebra. For me, the symbols move from one side of the equation to the other, as in
View attachment 242858
Likewise, if we had ##x + 3 = 15##, I would "see" the 3 going from the lhs to the rhs and acquiring a minus sing in the process.
Yes that is exactly how I was taught and I have used it ever since.
That is why I asked about multiplication over division approach.
Posts #19&21 explain from a maths and programming side but it would take practice to train my brain to look at simple equations this.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
I think the basic subtlety is that we like to define algebraic fields in terms of addition and multiplication with additive and multiplicative inverses.
It's related so hopefully the mods will allow.
Rules of indices turns multiplication into addition and division to subtraction is this part of what you mention above?

pinball1970 said:
It's related so hopefully the mods will allow.
Rules of indices turns multiplication into addition and division to subtraction is this part of what you mention above?

No, I think you’re referring to logarithms here whereas I’m talking about the properties of a number field like addition and multiplication over the real numbers aka the axiomatic approach.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_number
See the Axiomatic section and the properties of addition and multiplication over a real number field.

Likes pinball1970
jedishrfu said:
No, I think you’re referring to logarithms here whereas I’m talking about the properties of a number field like addition and multiplication over the real numbers aka the axiomatic approach.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_number
See the Axiomatic section and the properties of addition and multiplication over a real number field.
Not sure what you mean in first part, but second part yes for sure.

#33, yes, that is how I too think of it most of the time.

Likes DrClaude
Here's the context of pinball's and jedi's remarks:
pinball1970 said:
jedishrfu said:
No, I think you’re referring to logarithms here
symbolipoint said:
Not sure what you mean in first part,
On this side of the "pond" we call 'em exponents rather than indexes/indices.
I'm pretty sure that pinball's comment above has to do with these properties:
##\log_b(m \cdot n) = \log_b(m) + \log_b(n)##
##\log_b(\frac m n) = \log_b (m) - \log_b (n)##

Likes jbriggs444
Mark44 said:
Here's the context of pinball's and jedi's remarks:On this side of the "pond" we call 'em exponents rather than indexes/indices.
I'm pretty sure that pinball's comment above has to do with these properties:
##\log_b(m \cdot n) = \log_b(m) + \log_b(n)##
##\log_b(\frac m n) = \log_b (m) - \log_b (n)##
I think he had more the laws of exponents in mind. e.g. ##b^{m+n}=b^m \cdot b^n##

Of course, it is six of one, half dozen of the other.

Likes pinball1970
jbriggs444 said:
Of course, it is six of one, half dozen of the other.
Yep

Back to the original question. I would try to find the answer by a direct knowledge of multiplication. For

##3x= 15##

I know that ##3 × 5 =15##, so ##x=5##.

I would generally try this with less obvious equations, including a bit of trial and error, although eventually I'd be forced into long division or a calculator.

PeroK said:
Back to the original question. I would try to find the answer by a direct knowledge of multiplication. For

##3x= 15##

I know that ##3 × 5 =15##, so ##x=5##.

I would generally try this with less obvious equations, including a bit of trial and error, although eventually I'd be forced into long division or a calculator.
One would really not need a calculator for something as simple as that.

koiuuuuuuuuuuu said:
Do you have to divide both sides by 3
No, I can start with nothing, add 3 x times until I arrive at 15. Then I just have to remember how many times I added 3. This is very fundamental starting from definitions.

x = 15/3 follows from the definition of division.

Of course you can just divide both sides by 3.

I love this! So we should first transform 3x=15 to log(3x) = log(15), hence log(3) + log(x) = log(15), hence
log(x) = log(15)-log(3) = log(15/3) = log(5), then exponentiate, getting x = 5. wonderful. this for people who only know how to solve additive equations.

Likes PeroK, symbolipoint and jedishrfu
mathwonk said:
I love this! So we should first transform 3x=15 to log(3x) = log(15), hence log(3) + log(x) = log(15), hence
log(x) = log(15)-log(3) = log(15/3) = log(5), then exponentiate, getting x = 5. wonderful. this for people who only know how to solve additive equations.
The original question of the topic is really just pre-algebra or basic Algebra 1 level stuff. Not so complicated.

symbolipoint said:
The original question of the topic is really just pre-algebra or basic Algebra 1 level stuff. Not so complicated.
No kidding. I seriously can't believe we now have a thread of 50 posts talking about how to solve 3x=15.

Likes jbriggs444, lomidrevo and symbolipoint
no wait, I made it needlessly complicated, I should have said, from 3x=15 we get log(3x) = log(15), hence log(3) + log(x) = log(5) + log(3), hence log(x) = log(5), so x = 5. I.e. I hid the more difficult division problem that 15/3 = 5 inside the first derivation. my bad. I hope this uses only addition now. (#51).

Likes jedishrfu
phinds said:
No kidding. I seriously can't believe we now have a thread of 50 posts talking about how to solve 3x=15.
And now we're up to 52. I think this topic has been exhausted, plus the OP was never seen again.
Thread closed...