Factoring Equations with Real Roots

In summary, the conversation discusses how to factor the equation x^4-x^3-x^2+4=0 without using a TI 83 calculator. The participants mention that it is a difficult equation to factor due to its 4 exponent polynomial form. One person mentions a method they learned in college but cannot remember. Another person suggests that the equation may have no real factors since its graph never crosses the x-axis. However, another participant points out that every real quartic equation has real quadratic factors, even if it may not have real roots.
Benzoate

Homework Statement

Not sure how to factor this equation:

x^4-x^3-x^2+4=0
btw , I do not have a TI 83 calculator

Physics news on Phys.org
lol this isn't a simple equation to factor its a 4 exponent polynomial, good luck with that, but there is a method i learn in college, don't remember though

I'd be curious to know this as well; if I had to guess I’d say that is has no factors given that the graph never crosses the x-axis. I don't know =(

observe the degradation in powers carefully...

It doesn't have any real factors, since:
[tex]x^4-x^3-x^2+4=(x^2-\frac{x}{2}-\frac{6}{8})^2+~(\frac{x}{2}-\frac{6}{8})^2+\frac{184}{64} > 0[/tex]
:)

But every real quartic equation has real quadratic factors (because the complex roots come in conjugate pairs):

(x² + ax + b)(x² + cx + d) :smile:

uhm didnt know that! but i mistyped a little, i meant real roots, not real factors.

1. What is algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that involves manipulating symbols and solving equations to find unknown values.

2. What is the difference between algebra and arithmetic?

Arithmetic is focused on basic operations like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Algebra goes beyond this and uses variables and symbols to represent unknown values and solve more complex equations.

3. What are the basic operations in algebra?

The basic operations in algebra are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations are used to manipulate equations and solve for unknown values.

4. How do I solve for an unknown variable?

To solve for an unknown variable, you can use basic algebraic principles like combining like terms, isolating the variable by moving other terms to the other side of the equation, and applying the inverse operation.

5. Why is algebra important?

Algebra is important because it is used in many real-life situations, such as calculating finances, solving problems in science and engineering, and understanding patterns and relationships in data. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.