Where Did I Go Wrong in Simplifying this Algebraic Expression?

In summary, when simplifying the expression -d^2+[9d+(2-4d^2)], you distributed the negative sign incorrectly, resulting in a different answer than what Wolfram gave. The correct simplified form is -5d^2+9d+2. To avoid similar errors, it is important to use proper notation and follow the rules of operations for adding and subtracting terms.
uperkurk
Simplify [itex]-d^2+[9d+(2-4d^2)][/itex]

[itex]-d^2+[9d+(2-4d^2)][/itex]

[itex]d^2[-9d-2+4d^2][/itex]

[itex]d^2+4d^2-9d-2[/itex]

[itex]5d^2-9d-2[/itex]

but wolfram says the answer is

[itex]-5d^2-9d+2[/itex]

What did I do wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
uperkurk said:

Here is your error- first, you have dropped the "+" in front of the "[" but that may be just a typo- more importantly you have distributed the "-" in front of [itex]d^2[/itex] into the [itex][9d+(2- 4d^2)[/itex]. Where you were supposed to have -A+ B, you have A- B.

[itex]5d^2-9d-2[/itex]

[itex]-5d^2-9d+2[/itex]

What did I do wrong?

−d2+[9d+(2−4d2)]

−d2+9d+2−4d2

-5d2 + 9d − 2

Without any indication that the 2 in d2 is an exponent, what you have here is close to meaningless.
marie.phd said:
−d2+[9d+(2−4d2)]

−d2+9d+2−4d2

-5d2 + 9d − 2
At a minimum, use ^ to indicate exponents, and = for expressions that are equal, like this:

-d^2 + [9d + (2 − 4d^2)]
= -d^2 + 9d + 2 - 4d^2
= -5d^2 + 9d + 2

Even better is to write exponents that actually look like exponents, using the exponent feature that is available when you click Go advanced.

-5d2 + 9d + 2

uperkurk said:

[itex]-d^2- 4d^2= -5d^2[/itex]
You seem to be under the impresion that adding two negatives gives a positive. That is not true. That rule only holds for multiplication and division.

[itex]5d^2-9d-2[/itex]

[itex]-5d^2-9d+2[/itex]

What did I do wrong?

1. What is algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating those symbols to solve equations and understand patterns and relationships.

2. How is algebra useful in everyday life?

Algebra is used in a variety of real-world situations, such as calculating finances, analyzing data, and solving problems in engineering and science. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. What are the basic operations in algebra?

The basic operations in algebra are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations can be performed on numbers, variables, and expressions to simplify and solve equations.

4. What is the order of operations in algebra?

The order of operations in algebra is the sequence in which operations should be performed in an equation. The acronym PEMDAS (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, Addition and Subtraction) is commonly used to remember the order of operations.

5. How can I improve my algebra skills?

Practice is key to improving algebra skills. It is important to understand the concepts and rules, and to solve a variety of problems to become proficient. Seeking help from a tutor or using online resources can also be beneficial.